New Kayaker - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2011   #1

Dillon, Colorado
New Kayaker

I have been wanting to learn how to white water kayak for a couple years now. I have been procrastinating simply becuase I have no idea what kind of kayak is a good beginner. I know I want to eventually/soon do white water/river. but if its "okay" in the lake that is fine by me. I know river boats are shorter and therefore make it more difficult to get around in a lake (more paddling) so I want to focus on the river part, but if there is such a thing as an "okay" lake boat please let me know. Any information would be awesome thank you.

ciliphora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011   #2

B.F.E., Wyoming
Mountain Buzz - Search Forums
It's built into the website for a reason...
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #3

Dillon, Colorado
Thanks new to the site, got a little excited with out exploreing everything first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011   #4

Dillon, Colorado
I am also interested in personnal opinions on brands and such. Probably on here too.
Old 01-06-2011   #5

B.F.E., Wyoming
I don't want to be a total doucher so heres my .02
Take a look at the liquidlogic xp 9 or 10(depending on your weight and height). They are boats designed to paddle whitewater and flatwater with the use of a deployable skeg.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #6

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Paddling Since: 09
yeah i learned to roll in a dagger mamba super stable and very easy to roll... they also come in two sizes
renkenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciliphora View Post
I have been wanting to learn how to white water kayak for a couple years now. I have been procrastinating simply becuase I have no idea what kind of kayak is a good beginner. I know I want to eventually/soon do white water/river. but if its "okay" in the lake that is fine by me. I know river boats are shorter and therefore make it more difficult to get around in a lake (more paddling) so I want to focus on the river part, but if there is such a thing as an "okay" lake boat please let me know. Any information would be awesome thank you.
Any whitewater boat is better than none. I started out with an Otter Sport recreational kayak, then got a Wavesport XXX (possibly the shitiest boat made), but still somehow learned to paddle... point is, it's more about your drive to learn and get out there than about the equipment (at least at first). Sure, you might have an easier learning curve if you go buy a Jackson Hero or Liquid Logic Remix or Pyrhanna Ammo... but I would suggest starting with whatever you can find cheap, hooking up with a group (check with Tenmile kayak in Frisco) and giving it a shot.

Welcome to the most addictive sport on the planet, good luck.

Oh, and don't worry about whitewater kayaks not being good on the reservoir. They work just fine for paddling flatwater too.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #8

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
For your "OK" lake boat, the best choice is a kayak focused on river running instead of a playboat, because they are longer and often have better hull speed. These also are usually better to learn in, because they have more forgiving edges and don't get tossed around as much because they aren't designed to be thrown around by the paddler. But as was said above, any whitewater boat is better than no whitewater boat. If you're not trying to keep up with someone in a sea kayak, you'll be fine on a lake in whatever boat you get.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #9

Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
Rver Runner/Play ...I love my Dagger Centrifuge. Has been fun in the park, clear creek, numbers, RG, ShoSho..and I think it will get me into some class 4

Demo as many as possible!..Check out used (here and c-list)..be ready for april gear swaps..

I spent under $500 for all gear 2 years ago. This includes guide books, shorty dry top, helmet, pogies, 2 paddles, boat, skirt,...blah blah blah

Cheers, see you on the water
Marc