New Hero vs. Villain - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-13-2011   #1

Lakewood, Colorado
New Hero vs. Villain

I've got an '08 Hero that I like paddling but at 180 I'm near the top of the weight range and it does feel really slow sometimes. I'd like to get something with a little more available capacity for overnighters. The SuperHero feels really wide to me. Villain S paddled well but I'm near the top of that weight range as well, so thinking the big Villain. I'm a class IV boater and don't really see myself ever progressing past the occasional V-. The hardest thing I've paddled is Bailey (walked the Vs), but I usually take the big boat to Clear Creek or maybe high water Numbers.

Has anyone paddled the new Hero? Is it very different from the last one? I heard it was supposed to be a mix of the old Hero and Villain. How is the Villain on stuff like high water Numbers or Royal Gorge? Too much boat if you're not doing steep creeks?

I know, I know: Demo, demo, demo. But it's January what the hell else is there to do but talk about boating?

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011   #2

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
I have only read about the new Hero improvements and reviews. It certainly sounds awesome. As always, JK is excellent in refining their designs to the best performance. The debate between it and the Villain is likely to be a tough decision for many.

As you already know, the Hero has the fun hull technology and is a carving machine. That makes it so much fun. Whereas, the Villain is certainly less of a carver in comparison and is generally designed for foregiveness and ease of paddling in difficult water. The new Hero should be a hot rod in comparison, but not specifically intended for gnar-gnar like the Villain. Although, the Hero should still be capable and have the advantage of being shorter. As well as , the Hero will be a more versatile all-around river-runner sport boat. So, if you are not into class V, the Hero may be the better choice.

I think it will be essential to demo both in order to decide which a person wants to purchase (if you can't own both). They are both excellent boats.

Frankly, I think you are not to heavy for the Villain S. The volume and long waterline are very supportive at the max weight range and beyond in my opinion. Although, I've heard others express going to the larger size has presented no trouble for them.

Personally, although the current JK sizes are manageable for my body size, I wish they would design a size in both the Hero and Villain that would be about 5 gallons smaller. I think I could enjoy, even more than already, a size between the Little Hero and Hero, and a Villain size between an S and the Punk Rocker size. That is getting picky and demanding a lot of sizes I know, but it could be even more perfect for a lot of people. Nonetheless, the current sizes are excellent. The new Hero and Villain are the two top-choice boats that a person should try both to determine which is more appealing to them. Or buy both!
Old 01-20-2011   #3

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Bump...

Any other feedback out there. I got the same question?

I hope to be able to demo a Villain and new 2011 Super Hero soon. Any shops in Colorado have both available? Any shops offering them at a pool session this winter?
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Large villain is a great boat, and it would be a good river runner. For high water ark, I prefer a playboat or river running playboat to take advantage of the surf.

If you want a bomber creekboat to help you clean up the class IV and move into the V-, the villain is probably a good choice. At 180 you are right in the middle of the two villain sizes. You could paddle either one, but would be either on the higher end or the lower end. You may also want to check out something like the burn that has a size inbetween the L and S jackson boats.

I think confluence kayaks has some demo jackson boats. Give them a ring. Confluence does pool sessions at DU on tuesday nights.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #5
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I Love My L villain, as a non class V paddler(didnt have the right boat !...or the huevos lol) it makes me feel safe, rolls super reliably, and is stable and responsive. although it is a BIG boat. I would love to get a superhero for class III-IV when the water goes up, but with a 4fun, and a villain, I am already set. cant complain, but we can dream of the JK quiver. I want to use the villain to overnight eventually, so thats another factor to consider, if thats an interest. could prolly pack either of them actually.
Drawbacks = some dont like the rope cleat backband set up and say it pops out on drops. but it hasnt happened to me yet. I LOVE the simplicity and adjustability. and angle that your hips and legs are at. I literally dont fit into daggers and WS (without some serious work)
I am really looking forward to the LTB on the Rio Grande in my Villain, but I can imagine I would prefer a Hero for river running class IV... the villain also felt a little big for the Rio Santa Cruz at lower levels. (but its pretty microcreeky in any boat)
Cant go wrong, just right (er).
...hah.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
I'm also a big fan of the cleat system. I paddle a Fun as well and did develop problems with the rope popping out on it a couple times, the worst being on Entrance Exam on Slaughterhouse. But I went to Wilderness Exchange and picked up some replacement rope and it has been bomber ever since.

I did demo the Burn a couple years ago and really liked the large, but coming from a Fun the Hero just felt like home. I'll have to look into the Burn again.

The Villain S did paddle well, as does the Hero, but I want something to stuff overnight gear in and not get weighed down. I took my first overnighter on Brown's last year and while there was plenty of room for gear, it paddled very slugishly.

Thanks for the replies.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I say quit doing all the cardio and eat your way into a superhero! You know maybe hang out on the couch eating funyons and drinking lots of soda! It's helped make me the mediocre boater I am today!
RandyP
Old 07-18-2011   #8

West Linn, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I am also thinking of buying a Villain or a new SH

Would love to hear more opinions regarding these 2 boats.
I am hoping to demo the new Super Hero soon and have tried the Villain last year. As a beginner I found the Villain to be stable, fast and easy to carve.
I doubt the SH will be as fast on the flats nor track as well as the Villain but for the sometimes shallow rocky rivers I run, I would prefer a shorter boat.
alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #9

Youngstown, Ohio
If you are riding freestyle, get the hero, if you are riding normal strait up
Whitewater, villian
46racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #10

Youngstown, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpowhound
I'm also a big fan of the cleat system. I paddle a Fun as well and did develop problems with the rope popping out on it a couple times, the worst being on Entrance Exam on Slaughterhouse. But I went to Wilderness Exchange and picked up some replacement rope and it has been bomber ever since.

I did demo the Burn a couple years ago and really liked the large, but coming from a Fun the Hero just felt like home. I'll have to look into the Burn again.

The Villain S did paddle well, as does the Hero, but I want something to stuff overnight gear in and not get weighed down. I took my first overnighter on Brown's last year and while there was plenty of room for gear, it paddled very slugishly.

Thanks for the replies.
Don't get either of those for overnighters, get the rogue or a liquidlogic remix XP 10
46racer is offline   Reply With Quote