New Creeker - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2015  

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
New Creeker

Im looking to buy a new creek boat. Im trying to decide between a Mamba, Flying Squirrel, or Burn. Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015  

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Jackson Karma or Burn III

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
I have to admit the squirrel looks pretty sweet. The lines on that boat are tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015  

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Love my Burn 3. Noticeably improved over the Burn 2.
Old 07-01-2015  

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Love my Burn 3. Noticeably improved over the Burn 2.
Out of curiousity, what do you like more about the Burn 3? I kinda like my Burn 1 more than the Burn 2, so I'm curious if the 3 is fast like the 1..
Old 07-01-2015  

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
I am looking at a new creeker too, something a little bit bigger than the nomad, but with similar rocker and a little more edge. Coming from a mamba 8.0 I may just go for an 8.6...
Old 07-01-2015  

CCC, CO
All good boats, right? Committing to a brand new boat without demo'ing is a rich man's gamble and asking internet for help is interesting but subjective.

If its used and the right price, pick it up and try it, you should be able to resell it for about the same price if you don't like it and you'll get a sense for different boats and brands. If you're thinking you want to buy new, find some demos--most shops will put the demo cost toward a purchase. Or buy a new one based on internet forum feedback-- if you've never paddled anything else you'll probably get used to it and like it.

Do you want edges or not? (2 of 3 have edges)
Do you like Pyranha/Dagger/LL outfitting or not?

People can't really answer those types of questions for you, just state their preferences.

I wanted edges and dislike Pyranha outfitting, ended up trying a used Mamba 8.0 and liking it and then buying a new Mamba 8.1 and loving it. Its not perfect though.

Flying Squirrel looks awesome -- would like to demo one some time but its a different style of boat than I'm used to so i wouldn't jump right in with a new one.

Why not consider a Wavesport Recon or Jackson Karma while you're at it? Sweet boats too, in the vein of what you're asking about, and widely available. For me, if WS Recon came in an 85, it seems like the perfect "creeker with edges for someone who doesn't like Jackson outfitting" which is a good description of myself but maybe not you...
Old 07-01-2015  

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Add the jackson Zen to that list if you like edges.

Very zippy.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Old 07-01-2015  

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Andy, come by CKS and I'd be glad to talk boats with you. First question I ask anyone looking at a new boat is "What is your ultimate goal?" Do you want to go run some steep creeks? Or do you see yourself more on big water? If you're more interested in creeks, a Nomad, Shiva, Recon, Karma, or Flying Squirrel would be up your alley. For big water, the Zen and Burn are hard to beat. The 9R and Mamba are boats that I felt did well in both bigger, pushier water such as high water Numbers and Poudre Narrows, as well as tighter creeks.

Ty
Old 07-01-2015  

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Out of curiousity, what do you like more about the Burn 3? I kinda like my Burn 1 more than the Burn 2, so I'm curious if the 3 is fast like the 1..
It seems quite a bit faster than my Burn 2. There is more rocker making it both easier to boof and easier to resurface, but yet even at a step up to a large from a medium it is still snappy coming in and out of eddies.