New Cataraft Tube Decision - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2013   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
New Cataraft Tube Decision

I currently run a 14' 2011 Wave Destroyer with a Madcater frame. I have loved these tubes especially with the new frame for both day runs and extended trips. Lochsa, MFS, Main Salmon, Selway, Gallatin, Blackfoot all have been great.

I was thinking about getting some smaller tubes (in the 12' to 12.5' range). I have a Maravia 16' typhoon for extended family trips and a Super Puma for fishing and paddle boating so I dont need one boat to do it all. I'm focused on SOTAR Legends or the new 12' Wave Destroyers. I have owned other SOTAR and AIRE rafts and appreciated each of their relevant merits and feel comfortable buying from either company.

After many conversations with owners, Buzz chat reviews, and my experience I think I understand most of the advantages and disadvantages of each relevant design, materials and company so i'm not looking to restart that thread (Legends vs. WD).

It really comes down to timing and cost. Since my spring/early summer playing opportunity's are quickly diminishing my focus is having new tubes ready to go next spring so its Cost.

I would probably go with the Legends if the costs were comparable. Looks like the Legends list for about 20% more then the WD.
12.5' Legends = $2,600-2,800
12' WD = $2,100
So finally my questions:

(1) is there anything I can do that will reduce the costs of the Legends or WD tubes (rep deals, Fall sales, ___)?

(2) are the best SOTAR deals on their Hotsheet (looks to be a 15-20% discount) and if so should i try to find something there that meets my needs and is not too visually disturbing? (not really sure I want a 2nd)

Thank for the long winded question - Jim

washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Sotar has a fall and spring sale. I know the fall sale is in October. I believe it's the 1st - 12th. Not sure of the spring sale dates. They did tell me that the wait time in the spring to get a new boat is longer than the fall. All boats (new orders & in-stock) are 20% off during the sale, as are all options/upgrades on a new order boat. On the last day of the sale, all remaining in-stock boats go to 25% off. So if there's a boat on the hot sale list that meets your needs, you can wait until the last day of the sale to get the 25% off......if that boat is still available. I do believe that there are rep. deals available at other times as well????

I don't own a Sotar (own a Maravia cat & Hyside Raft), but I'm considering a Sotar raft, so I've been getting info from Sotar on their sales.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #3

Helena, Montana
just the type of infor i was looking for - THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013   #4

Searching for water....., Idaho
I dont know if you have demoed these two boats but the 12' WD and the 12.5 ft legend are VERY different boats. On paper they are similar but the much shorter water line of the 12' WD makes it perform very differently than the legend. Im not saying one is better than the other but I dont think they are easily comparable if you were looking at these two models as a choice and expecting similar performance you would be disappointed.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by washoe99 View Post
just the type of infor i was looking for - THANKS!
You are welcome. Sounds like you have researched both cats, and are aware of the design differences and handling characteristics of both. Good luck with your decision and have fun with the new cat. Sounds like you have a boat for every use. Lucky you.
Question for you..... How do you like the diminishing tube design on your Typhoon? I'm considering a similar design raft.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #6
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
I dont know if you have demoed these two boats but the 12' WD and the 12.5 ft legend are VERY different boats. On paper they are similar but the much shorter water line of the 12' WD makes it perform very differently than the legend. Im not saying one is better than the other but I dont think they are easily comparable if you were looking at these two models as a choice and expecting similar performance you would be disappointed.
Pinned has it spot on on these, totally different performance on the two.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #7

Helena, Montana
pinned - i have been on a few 12.5 Legends but have not demoed the 12' WD and have only seen one wiz by on a trailer. i was aware of the waterline difference and surmised how that may effect performance but it sounds like yo have some 1st hand knowledge on performance differences. could you give me your take on the performance differences? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I think you can almost always get 15% off the Sotar list price. Check out payetteriver.com - that's where I purchased my boat from.

I haven't been on a 12' WD (or any WD), but I've talked to some who have tried both. I hear the WD tracks better, but it's tougher to move the boat in big water (NF Payette). The Sotar is easier to move around, but it gets slapped around pretty good. You have to work harder to keep the Sotar squared up to waves/holes, but it's easier to stay on the line.

Full disclosure - I run a 12.5' Legend and I built payetteriver.com for Ted Day. And I'm aware of the issues on the site if you look at it in an old version of IE. Upgrade.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by washoe99 View Post

I would probably go with the Legends if the costs were comparable. Looks like the Legends list for about 20% more then the WD.
12.5' Legends = $2,600-2,800
12' WD = $2,100
Just an fyi, you are comparing a pvc boat to a Urethane boat. If you buy an aire boat made of Urethane (which they do sell) it costs another $700+ So, in reality aire boats are more expensive then sotar boats. Just saying.
Old 08-11-2013   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
From what I understand, the 12' WD is closer in performance to the 11' legend. They are still a bit different, but the Legend is a big little boat. With the longer water line and stubby tips the 12.5' legend is similar in "size" to the 14' WD. Ditto what josh said, sotar discounts don't need to wait for the sales.

Tags
cataraft