New Boat or New Skills? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-25-2012   #1

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
New Boat or New Skills?

I am wondering if I should take some classes to improve my skills or try to find a more forgiving boat?

I have been a rafting from the late 90ís and have a lot of river experience, but I would like to develop my kayaking skills. I have an ok roll, I can hit it 3 out of 4 times on my strong side and a little bit less on the week side. Eddy lines are not an issue, surfing and bracing are not the greatest. I have learned mostly on my own and with friends.

The situation I am in is I traded my big river runners for a Pyranha sub7 (seven ball) a number of years ago when I moved from Glenwood to the Front Range. The idea was I would be doing more playing at clear creek and hitting the lower volume runs that are closer.

What I have found is the boat has some sharp edges, I keep getting pummeled. I can always improve my skill set but the question is should I stick with this boat and take some more knocks and chock them up to learning experiences or explore boat options like an EZ that would have less chine and be more forgiving.

Thanks for your input Rob

Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Is both an option? I don't know the old Pyranha boats very well, but I paddled one of their super slicey ones once that just wanted to dive any chance it got. If it's like that, then I'm sure a newer boat would be an improvement. You'd be surprised how cheap you might able to score a used boat. I'd say keep your eyes glued to the swap pages the next few months and grab a good deal if it comes up.

So why improve your skills when you can buy your way up the ladder?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm a fan of having a small playboat for playparks and surfing, and a river runner or creeker for river running.

Yes, you can build your skills so that you can run anything in a tiny boat, but the learning curve is tough.

If you want to build your river running skills, I'd advocate a good river runner or creekboat (villain, burn, nomad) for the front range.

If you don't like the boat, I would ditch it and get a boat you do like. Too many good boats out there to settle for a boat that doesn't work for you. If you like the current boat for play parks etc, just get a river runner or creeker for river runs.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Rod, sounds like you maybe are not as young as you once were? And you are finding the sub7 a bit of a handfull? Understandable. I think you need to think about what your future holds. If you want to just surf, spin, blunt. You may find boats simular to the fun, fuse, or ezg more your style. The sub7 is slicy and loves to through down. So, if your not into cartwheeling?? then I say get a new boat yesterday. If you want to learn to link up ends. Thats the machine. Now if you want to do it all and hit the new, well you need a new style play boat like a star, pX, or something. Lessons are ALLWAYS good if you research your instructor. Find a good instructor that has experience in teaching ppl simular to you to do the things you want to achive. Don't just show up somewhere and hope for good instruction.
Old 01-25-2012   #5

Conifer, Colorado
Thanks!

Both is the only option, timing I guess is the issue.

Should I throw my small kayaking budget into a new used boat or keep my set up get some class time and more miles?

I think what I am hearing is that if I get a set up that works for me then the miles and skills will be easier.

I like the idea of aming twards the creeker option vs the play park.

I do belive in good instruction but what i am hearing even with that it will still be a steeper learning curve in the boat that is not working with me?

villain, burn, nomad what else should I keep my eye out for?
Old 01-25-2012   #6

Conifer, Colorado
[QUOTE=dirtbagkayaker;260308] Now if you want to do it all and hit the new, well you need a new style play boat like a star, pX, or something. QUOTE]

Are these new style play boats going to work on lower voulume runns like waterton off season?
Old 01-25-2012   #7
Jeff

Del Norte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I just traded my Rocker for a 07 or 08 Jackson fun series this winter. I'm around 150 lb. and I am super happy with the boat. I'm not really interested in super hard white water, but this little boat really handles well for me in class 3 thru easy class 4 whitewater.
Jeff Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #8

Bazzaro, Free
[QUOTE=Robpineau;260310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Now if you want to do it all and hit the new, well you need a new style play boat like a star, pX, or something. QUOTE]

Are these new style play boats going to work on lower voulume runns like waterton off season?

They work for me! I run high water lochsa in a p52 no problem. But, you will have to make the end call. There is nodought that if you like your boat that you will use it more. If you go to a creeker style boat, you should also research "planning hull" type boats. (hero or mamba style, just to name a couple) I would ster you away from the villian and look at the hero. Away from the displacment hulls unless you are a hard core creeker or just perfer displacement hulls.. There are plenty of great boats out there that will no require you to go to the two boat model.
Old 01-25-2012   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
I just traded my Rocker for a 07 or 08 Jackson fun series this winter. I'm around 150 lb. and I am super happy with the boat. I'm not really interested in super hard white water, but this little boat really handles well for me in class 3 thru easy class 4 whitewater.
I have seen and heard many stories just like this. I have seen ppl through down like a pro and run IV+ in the same JK fun, day after day with some of the biggest smiles on thier face.
Old 01-25-2012   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
A newer more friendly and forgiving boat can make a huge difference in your confidence which will help your skills - assuming you're working on them. Try and hit a pool this winter several times to work on your roll and to sharpen your skills before spring. The improved ergonomics of the newer boats will also be a big improvement over the Sub7. JK fun series are great, but skip the 04-06 model and go 07 or newer, or skip the Ez/EzG series and go for a Fuse series.
FatmanZ is online now   Reply With Quote