new '11 super hero or Jefe grande? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2011   #1

longmont, Colorado
new '11 super hero or Jefe grande?

I know the answer is "demo one" But the season is winding down and waters getting low. I have the grande but i feel it is too much of a beast to paddle and its heavy. Im thinking about the new super hero its shorter but has the same vol. I weigh 195lbs. Who has had a chance to paddle both? What did you think about each? Or any feedback i can get from people about their new hero.

huck it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If your looking for more advanced boating I would say the Jefe is gonna be a lot better. The hero is good if your more of a beginner trying to step up to creeking.
HenryHeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011   #3

B.F.E., Wyoming
Stick with the Grande.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011   #4

Kayak, Colorado
Grande....all the way
Berkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
"a beginner stepping up to creeking"? WTF?

While I have not paddled the JG, the SH absolutely kills it. I feel like I am cheating as I catch eddies that no one else even seems to notice. It turns, it's fast, it punches. It's easy to roll. What else would you like it to do? Carry gear? It can do that too.

Demo one. I see you're near Boulder. get a hold of me if you want to test drive it.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, the Super Hero is good for beginners stepping into creeking, like Ben Stookesberry and Jesse Coombs.

I've paddled the smaller versions of each: Jefe & Hero (but pre '11 design). Based on that, I would say the Super Hero would alleviate at least part of your complaints. It's obviously lighter and on the water it feels much sportier than the Jefe. I felt like the Jefe wants you to keep paddling it aggressively in order to stay in control. The Hero allows for lighter paddling and quicker moves. When I first looked at the Hero I thought I was going to hate it because, esp. the small version, looked ridiculously short and bulbous to me. I demoed one for a weekend. My first run was on the Big South and after 15-30 minutes of adjusting to it, it felt great. My first run ever on Supermax on Bailey was in this boat. If you're not digging the Grande, the SH seems like a good one to try.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011   #7

river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
move your seat forward

I have never paddled the SH but I own a JG. I too felt the same way in my JG untill I moved the seat as far forward as I could get it. That made a big difference. Eddies were easier to catch and it would pivot much better. Before moving the seat the best way to describe it would be It felt like I was riding the tails of my skis. It would blow right over eddy lines and wouldnt turn in the middle of a drop to miss rocks etc.. You do have to be agressive and PADDLE this boat. Try moving the seat before you get rid of the grande.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011   #8

Paddling Since: 1993
Large burn is a great compromise.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #9

Fulford, Colorado
Although I havent paddled the Jefe, I did get a chance to paddle the 2011 Super Hero this past March. When I first got into the boat I noticed it was HUGE. I could fit both hands between each hip pad and my hips on either side. But paddled it anyway. The thing was AWESOME! Numerous times during the run when I thought I needed to throw a high brace the boats friendly secondary stability would catch me before my paddle touched water. If I were running mostly HUGE water this would be the boat I would paddle. However I'm with mrekid, The 2010 Burn is my personal favorite for its amazing speed, easy maneuverability and superior outfitting. Sure the Super Hero takes 15 minutes to set up but it seems like you have to readjust it every 15 minutes as well.
Pyranha was also one of the first companies to offer a displacement/planing hull hybrid and for their refinement of the new Burn, they have perfected it.
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
I have never paddled the SH but I own a JG. I too felt the same way in my JG untill I moved the seat as far forward as I could get it. That made a big difference. Eddies were easier to catch and it would pivot much better. Before moving the seat the best way to describe it would be It felt like I was riding the tails of my skis. It would blow right over eddy lines and wouldnt turn in the middle of a drop to miss rocks etc.. You do have to be agressive and PADDLE this boat. Try moving the seat before you get rid of the grande.
Adjusting the seat is really helpful. I hated my jefe until I got the seating position right, which for me is almost all the way forward.

When you start messing with the seating, try moving the seat higher as well. I recently added a jackson butt bag and it has improved the boat that much more. Of course this may only go if you are short and heavy like me. I'm 190 5'9" in the Jefe Grande
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote