Need some Buzzard input... - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-04-2012   #1
Tenacious B

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Need some Buzzard input...

I'm helping my dad buy a raft. I have been spending quite a bit of time on all the used gear sites looking for deals. We were trying to stay under 3k. I know i can get a RMR 16 footer for about $2,775 plus about $125 for shipping.
I know a guy that is selling a 2007 AIRE 143R for $2,900 with two thwarts. I know the AIRE is a better boat than the RMR but do you think the $2,900 is a fair price? I checked it out and it's excellent condition. There is 5 years left on the warranty.

Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012   #2

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
Depends on whether you want a boat that is going to have a 3 to 6 year, or a 10 to 15 year, life expectancy. Aire are well made and durable boats.
coloriverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
You are in Boise yes buy the aire. Factory is down the road you can do what you want repairs are covered. They can re-weld a patch whereas the RMR doesnt have a zipper so repairs due to you popping a gash into it arent gonna be covered so you will likely have to use glue, hurting its resale value.

That seems like a fair price. Has your buddy owned it since new? Is it in great condition?

Reason i ask is if its an old stock 2007 purchased in 2009 then the warrantee is valid until 2019. If it was a commercial boat the warrantee expires this year. Call aire with the S/N they will tell you when the warrantee expires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
143R is a great boat for outfitting. Many of the 143s that i see for sale are 143D's for paddling
Old 04-04-2012   #5
Tenacious B

Boise, Idaho
Good point Avatard. I'm checking the serial# now. I liked the 143r as I think it would a real stable boat for my ol' man. The boat is really is great shape. Ever consider a name change to AireTard? The input is appreciated.
Old 04-04-2012   #6

norcal, California
If you want a 16' raft, then a good deal on a 14' raft may not be a good deal for *you*.

If you're not sure what size to buy, maybe mention what you'd like to use it for and what rivers you expect to run, and you'll probably get lots of good advice.
barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #7
Tenacious B

Boise, Idaho
I have a 14' Legend cat that i do all my big water boating with. The raft, whether it be 14 or a 16, would be used for family paddleboat trips on the Payette, summertime family trip on the Main or maybe a fall Middle Fork trip. It will primarily be me or my dad rowing it with my kids.
Old 04-04-2012   #8

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Bade
I have a 14' Legend cat that i do all my big water boating with. The raft, whether it be 14 or a 16, would be used for family paddleboat trips on the Payette, summertime family trip on the Main or maybe a fall Middle Fork trip. It will primarily be me or my dad rowing it with my kids.
Sounds like 14' would be a good compromise able to do a week trip or day float, i've done it in a 13' and wanted more space. I'd hate to see if my dad could oar a 16' boat and you need at least six or good paddlers to move a boat that big so unless you are planning a grand trip or taking ten down a river then i'd stick with a 14' boat

avatard is a good avatar name for an idiot like me