ascoss the UP. Left the area a decade ago, though. Oh,

I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs.

I currently flog the Ark to death. I am looking for a

boat that does well as the numbers and Gorge move past

2500 cfs and also would like to spend some time on

Bailey, Clear Creek of the ark and Clear Creek (I have

my eye on rigormortis, but don't know if I'll run it or

not).

I want a boat that rolls easily, first and foremost.

Perfomance is nice too.

I talked to Tommy Hilleke at the Fundraiser for his sister Mike Brown arranged for our club(PPWC) and he liked the LL Jefe ( I won't be joining him on his expeditions any time soon).

The problem with the Jefe seems to be it is hard to

roll. I could barely offside roll it in a pool session

when I tried it.

I also talked to Eric Jackson this summer and he said

his boats are specifically designed to roll easily so

i'm thinking the mid sized rocker might be for me.

If you respond please at least paddle class iv and a

boat you like that rolls easily.

Thanks in advance

CB

cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006   #2

Any boat that is narrow and has rounded side walls will roll relatively easily. A rounded deck helps too, but if it's too rounded then you'll resurface more quickly—which usually means in less control.

Most boats are easy to roll these days.The best way to make it easy to roll any boat at any time is by playboating more.
Old 12-05-2006   #3

work
The Numbers or the Gorge are not good prep for Bailey or Rigor Mortis. And if you have trouble rolling your current creek boat on the offside, then you definitely aren't ready for those.

The Jefe is pretty easy to roll. The easiest boat to roll is the Jackson Hero, which fits Cutch's description, but isn't a creek boat.
stof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
And people wonder why no one wants to ask a question on this forum. I dont believe he asked about what runs to paddle. He has paddled Bailey.
Old 12-05-2006   #5

I love my Nomad- I was actually really surprised at how easy it is to roll, because I can't off-side handroll my playboat AT ALL, but I got it first try in the Nomad. I have the smaller one, don't know if that makes a difference... but it's a great boat, plus they just came out with an updated version that looks sweet.
(only thing I don't like- Dagger seats are really not terribly comfortable... at all...)
danceronhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I paddled the Hero and I really didn't like it. It's true it's not really a creekboat...it does roll really easily, but it rolls over really easily too. I have a Rocker now and it's not bad. It took a little getting used to, but it's a better design than the hero. The rocker is a little slow to turn but stays on line if you put it where it needs to go. My boyfriend let me paddle his Blunt afew times down Blackrock and Gore and I liked it too. It's an older design and people will tell you it's heavy, but I think creekboats are a little heavy by definition...it's stable, rolls easily, and is affordable (my buddy found one for 200 after he tried the boat I had). I have heard good things about the jefe though, so maybe give it another try too. People say it's a forgiving creeker. I am half your size but have paddled the runs you are talking about...I think it's really just picking something you like and feel comfortable in, outfitting it well and then getting used to it? Good luck...maybe we'll scout Rigor together in the spring
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #7

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Nomad all the way.
As for "(only thing I don't like- Dagger seats are really not terribly comfortable... at all...)"
Got ya' covered my friend. All new seat, pillar, seat pad, and hip pads. Here are a couple of links. The Nomad is the baddest mo' fo' out there.

http://www.teamdagger.com/ssp/news?news_id=8

http://www.teamdagger.com/ssp/news?news_id=21

And no diss to EJ as I have tons of respect for him and Jackson (they are pretty sweet) but as for the "I also talked to Eric Jackson this summer and he said his boats are specifically designed to roll easily" comment. I don't know of any companies that design their boats to be difficult to roll.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #8

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Diesel, too.

cbrobin --

Sounds like even the Diesel is something you should consider. It can be used for Bailey and Clear Creak of the Ark with no problem, and excels at river running on the Ark. Also, consider the Pyranha M3 or maybe even their new Ammo is cool, too. Anyhow, generally there are used Diesels, M3s, Nomads, and Jefes available if you're not buying new. I like my Diesel, though I'd say the new Habitat looks like the hot ticket for creekin' for sure. Surely the Jefe, Nomad, and M3 all rank there, too. They're all good. Any of them would not be a poor choice for you.

Cheers!
Ken
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006   #9

Diesel, too.

cbrobin --

Sounds like even the Diesel is something you should consider. It can be used for Bailey and Clear Creak of the Ark with no problem, and excels at river running on the Ark. Also, consider the Pyranha M3 or maybe even their new Ammo is cool, too. Anyhow, generally there are used Diesels, M3s, Nomads, and Jefes available if you're not buying new. I like my Diesel, though I'd say the new Habitat looks like the hot ticket for creekin' for sure. Surely the Jefe, Nomad, and M3 all rank there, too. They're all good. Any of them would not be a poor choice for you.

Cheers!
Ken
Old 12-05-2006   #10

Diesel, too.

cbrobin --

Cheers!
Ken