Need Advice on A pyrahna molan - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-10-2012   #1

utica, New York
Paddling Since: 2011
Need Advice on A pyrahna molan

I am brand new to kayaking and just fell into a brand new molan and paddle for 200 bucks. Only problem is possibly the size. I am 6 foot tall and about 215lbs, and the boat is a Med which after research is only rated up to 198lbs. the lrg is only an inch longer so I'm wondering if it's going to make that big of a difference. Being new to the sport I don't plan on doing anything too crazy with it....any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

crossroads2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
get a large if you can, it's pointless to squeeze into a tiny boat because it was a good deal.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #3

utica, New York
Its only an inch longer and I already bought it......just wondering what I can expect as far as performance differences. It's brand new and I figured I can always resell it and double or triple my money or trade for something that will work better for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012   #4

The big difference will be the volume not the length. I paddled a medium for a year at 180 pounds and I thought it was a good sized boat for my weight. You are a little big for a medium, but the good news is you only paid $200 for it. If it is new you should be able to turn around and sell it for $600-$700 pretty quickly and get set up with a boat more your size.

*Edit: I looked in the swap and there is a used one for $650, so you could probably get more than $600-$700. If it's never been on the water still in plastic you may be able to trade it for full value.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #5

utica, New York
Thanks Nathan......appreciate the help. Just outta curiosity, what would happen if I did try to use it?
Old 01-10-2012   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
I would say that you will have a steep learning curve.
Old 01-10-2012   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I am curious how you "fell into" the boat and paddle for 200$ the boat is probably stolen and you will probably drown for the efforts. Look for stolen boat posts in your area and try to return it to the right owner, or get your money back from whom ever sold it to you and buy a larger one. I am not accusing you or your "friend" of wrong doing but there is no way... go ahead and tell the story.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #8

utica, New York
Actually bought it of the local Craig's list........if I do anything I'll sell it or trade it and get a larger one. I doubt its stolen since its brand new...not a scratch on it......I'm assuming it was a gift of somebody was hard up for money, not my concern. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2012   #9

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads2284 View Post
Actually bought it of the local Craig's list........if I do anything I'll sell it or trade it and get a larger one. I doubt its stolen since its brand new...not a scratch on it......I'm assuming it was a gift of somebody was hard up for money, not my concern. Thanks for the help.
Brand new boats don't sell on CL with a paddle for 200 bucks unless they were acquired via less than legal means.

As a kayaker you should at least attempt to find out if anyone reported it stolen via local PD and local paddler websites in case it is a stolen boat.
Old 01-10-2012   #10

Boise, Idaho
Yeah, it sucks for you but sucks for whomever it was likely stolen from.

I would contact the CL seller and ask him to provide you a receipt (say it's for warranty purposes). If he can't, ask for where he purchased it and say you'll get the receipt from them. I'll bet he can't do either.

River karma, my friend. You need to do your due diligence on this one.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote