Narrow dryboxes for captain's area? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2009   #1

Tahoe City, California
Narrow dryboxes for captain's area?

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is one of those topics that has been hammered to pieces, but I couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. Looking around these forums I can see that the customization of rafts is every bit as intense as any other gear-oriented activity, so I know you guys will have something for me to think about. And before I ask the question, I want to say "thanks" for making this forum useful - it's still too early for me to contribute but I will be able to do so after I have more experience.

I'm looking for some really narrow dryboxes - about 25" long and perhaps 6-9" wide, and 12-18" deep. These would be fit within my oar frame rowing "cabin" or whatever you call it. The idea is that I could use them to get to critical items more easily and quickly, and have some really organized storage for sunblock, water, etc. without using drop bags, etc. I'm kinda a nut about having a clean and useful boat without anything that people can get hung up on in sticky situations.

I've seen 20" long dryboxes from Clavey, but this squishes the captain area by moving the foot bar closer to the seat bar.

Do I have any alternatives shy of going custom? Thanks!

Penguin

penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #2

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
nice to see someone else with a non-co address on this forum.

i've been using ammo boxes for the same. depending on storage requirements either the little ammo box (50cal?) the medium box (not sure what cal) or the larger 20mm rocket box. I seem to like the med size best, the rocket box is a little too tall and gets in the way of the oar. they sit on a plywood floor which is strapped to the frame.

Up for a SFA run?
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #3

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
In my 16' Avon, I secure two 8 gallon square plastic barrels to the floor on either side of my feet. I bought them from US Plastics.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #4

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Frontier Play sells a 22 X 10 captains box:

FrontierPlay.com=

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Hey guys,

I'm sure this is one of those topics that has been hammered to pieces, but I couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. Looking around these forums I can see that the customization of rafts is every bit as intense as any other gear-oriented activity, so I know you guys will have something for me to think about. And before I ask the question, I want to say "thanks" for making this forum useful - it's still too early for me to contribute but I will be able to do so after I have more experience.

I'm looking for some really narrow dryboxes - about 25" long and perhaps 6-9" wide, and 12-18" deep. These would be fit within my oar frame rowing "cabin" or whatever you call it. The idea is that I could use them to get to critical items more easily and quickly, and have some really organized storage for sunblock, water, etc. without using drop bags, etc. I'm kinda a nut about having a clean and useful boat without anything that people can get hung up on in sticky situations.

I've seen 20" long dryboxes from Clavey, but this squishes the captain area by moving the foot bar closer to the seat bar.

Do I have any alternatives shy of going custom? Thanks!

Penguin
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #5

Groveland, California
I bought a pair of the Frontier Play 10 x 22 boxes and cut a bevel and welded a new piece of material on the box to clear the tube and make the cockpit comfortably wider. This gained me ~3" /side, which would like the width of a 7" box, but with much more storage.

You should note that build quality on these Chinese made Frontier Play boxes is marginal, though it wasn't in-my-face obvious until I bought a large box from NRS (made by Recretec?), which is VERY nicely built....totally different league. The $99 for the Frontier boxes (when I bought them) was worth it though knowing I wanted to cut and weld on them.

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3989.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1744   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3986 Small.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	549.8 KB
ID:	1745  

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #6

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Sweet setup HP.

here's mine in action. One of the cap's boxes is a small ice chest (for otw refreshments) the other is one small rocket box (the other is onshore with camp crap).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010352.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	1746  
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Another cheap idea is a compactor bag inside your captains bag. wouldn't work in a flip, but it keeps dry clothes dry and separate from the rest of the otherwise wet bag.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
HPMG, what are those fittings you have on your double rail setup, please post some pics of those? I can see something that looks very intersting under there!

Rocket boxes in drop bags made by stitches n stuff treats me well in a super duper puma (i.e. narrow boat)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shappart Owyhee 2009 (2).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1747  
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #9

Groveland, California
[quote=shappattack;153459]HPMG, what are those fittings you have on your double rail setup, please post some pics of those? I can see something that looks very intersting under there!quote]

Here are some pics. The side decking bolts directly to the fittings. To disassemble, just pull the snap pins that hold the center bars in place, in minutes it is broken down, and the side decking never has to come off, unless you need to change the layout of the frame.

You can also see how the bevel cut on the drybox fits close to the tube.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3987 small.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	1748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3988 Small.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	569.8 KB
ID:	1749  

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Folks we have a f-ing winner! How much would one of those double rail fittings cost a person, if one were to try and buy some from you?
Tell me you have a CNC milling machine that is all programmed to whip these things out by the push of a button!
P.S. The foot Bar is bitchin!
Shapp
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote