My Jackson All Star cracked - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-15-2015   #1

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
My Jackson All Star cracked

So, I recently bought a used 2010 Jackson All Star. It had been used 2 times since it was purchased, but was a 2010 model that sat in a garage for 5 years.

After 5 runs, it cracked on me. A nice 6" crack, and apparently it is cross-linked plastic, which from what I've heard, doesn't weld well. It didn't happen on the rocky III+ section I started on, but on a class II section after. go figure.

So, can someone explain what the 2nd paragraph in this email means? I'm not sure what they are offering after reading the 2nd paragraph.

Quote:
Since we no longer make the All Star I can get you a replacement Rock Star M for $719.00 plus shipping. Unfortunately your Allstar warranty started in 2010.

You will need to drill 20 ˝ inch hole in the bottom of your old boat once the replacement is molded. It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to mold the boat. Just let me know what standard color you would like if interested.

Thank You
I'm not sure why I'd need to drill 20 1/2 inch holes in my old boat, unless he was talking about a shell, or he'd make a special mold for my current boat. Maybe you guys with experience dealing with them can explain it to me.

And if I do get a Rock Star replacement, what are the differences between the 2014 model and the 2016 model? Looking online, the older model is longer and faster, yet they rate the newer one as better on river running, which is what I do most the time, along with surfing on the way. I would have thought the faster boat would be better at river running. Perhaps someone can explain the differences to me.

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015   #2

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
It means in order to get the Rockstar hull as a replacement you would need to 'destroy' your current hull so it can't be used again. I think this is what this means. I have fixed A Jackson hull that was past warranty as well using G-Flex epoxy on both sides of the crack and additional guerrilla tape on the inside. That stuff stands up well. Cost around $40 for the G Flex kit and $3 in tape(about 3 layers, heated with heat gun).

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #3

Sacramento, California
If I do take them up on their offer (about how much is shipping from TN to CA?), what Rock Star would be best for me, as someone who isn't interested in competition? The 2014 or 2016 model? I'd normally assume the newer model is better, but for someone who will use it more for river running and surfing along the way, the new changes may not suit me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015   #4

SW, Colorado
If you like the old style allstar, You should forget about getting a replacement rockstar shell from Jackson, and buy a used allstar for half the cost.
fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #5

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fella View Post
If you like the old style allstar, You should forget about getting a replacement rockstar shell from Jackson, and buy a used allstar for half the cost.
I don't know what I like. I bought this one used as my first playboat. I got 5 days out of it before it cracked, and due to it being an old model, I don't get a full warranty replacement. They instead are offering a new full rock star, if I read that correctly, at about $500 off.

So, I could spend another ~$400 on another used boat, which may crap out after 4 uses, with no warranty, or consider a new Rock Star at a good price.

I'm wondering what the characteristics of the new Rock Stars are, so I might better make a choice.

Another note: the All Star I have uses Crosslink plastic, which is pretty much not weldable from what I've read/heard. I'd rather avoid that plastic in the future.
Old 06-15-2015   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Jackson doesn't make cross link boats anymore. So you don't have to worry about getting one of those if you get a new one.
Old 06-16-2015   #7

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
See if they will get you a Fun model, that will be more user friendly for river play than a Rockstar especially if you are not into hardcore freestyle....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Wait. You bought a used 5 year old boat that cracked and they're going to give you a deal on a new one? How do you manage that? I have a cracked 2010 allstar. I'd love to get that deal on a new Rock Star.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #9

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Wait. You bought a used 5 year old boat that cracked and they're going to give you a deal on a new one? How do you manage that? I have a cracked 2010 allstar. I'd love to get that deal on a new Rock Star.
I bought a barely used All Star, and it showed when I went in to CCK (California Canoe and Kayak), and they got me in touch with the local rep who helped me out.
Old 06-16-2015   #10
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Point is, Jackson owes you nothing in this situation so it is above and beyond for them to hook you up on a new model. In exchange you are going to have to kill the old one. Choose based on funds available and whether you want to paddle a patched up boat that is likely to leak and require a lot of sponging out.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote