My Grand rig.. sorry for the length :( - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2012   #1

Lexington, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2008
My Grand rig.. sorry for the length :(

I uploaded the entire .pdf. Hope you all enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	4433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	4434  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf NRS E 150 write up.pdf (9.53 MB, 626 views)

Sam Arnold IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
the metal materials you used are somewhat overkill. that's some thick plates.

the bolted in gear will probably be good for the grand in case of a flip but there are a lot of rivers I run that I wouldn't want to have to fuss with a wrench to get the items off my boat (away from bears, etc)

Is that yeti cooler cover waterproof? I had a igloo one in the past it snapped on my cooler fine but the first rapids it ripped off, tore the fabric, and then absorbed a ton of water in a rapids. It was basically useless sponge that I toted for the rest of my trip. So you might want to check to see if that is whitewater rated or for someone's nice 30 foot yacht where it stays nice and dry --- and either leave it at home or tuck it into the drybox just for camp. A paco pad will be much more durable and do a better job of insulating your cooler anyhow ...

Where is the bimini top? you will probably want it for the hot days in the sun ...
Old 03-19-2012   #3

Lexington, Kentucky
My Grand rig.. sorry for the length :(

They are COMPLETELY overkill brother! Yeah, what I was initially worried about was having to span that 8" to support the front of the cooler, the side that they placed those dang latches right next to the lip. To compensate for the 1/2" plates, i had to use the same thickness all around. I guess I could of offset the others, but I was struggling! If I had to do it over, i would have started with a piece of 1/4" aluminum, about 40" x 24" and milled out the inside exactly in the shape of the cooler with clearances for rubber latches. Then all I would've had to do would be to skip weld the outside of the piece to the cross members.
The cooler lid is just the standard Yeti lid. I'm sure it's not waterproof now that you mention it. Thanks for the heads up.
A bimini over a umbrella? I need to do some more reading....
We moved the entire boat with four individuals. Fortunately, I've got awesome friends, but I fully understand that this is a boat for the grand. Not for the faint of heart.
Thanks for the reply Avatard, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012   #4

colorado, Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
what a phat daddy rig!
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sweet rig, you've obviously put a lot of thought and time into it. Want to do my frame next?

With all that black foam, you'll definately want shade if you're not in the rapids. I sport these guys: River Sombrero - Shade for Rafts!, get the 8' and remember to fold it up before you get to the top of the tongue.

If I follow, you're sleeping 2 people long ways on the boat. That is going to feel really narrow when you're trying to spread out in the heat. Your height of the boxes above the plywood looks close to an ammo can. I would look into how you can strategically strap cans, bags, and anything else along the side rails, and then get a couple of thick white paco pads that will cover up the bumps. Spreads you from 40" to 60"...

I wouldn't trust any cooler latch in a flip - if it were me, I would still cam strap over the top for rapids. Even just one in the middle... That's a great rig for lower-key stuff though!

Happy tinkering, and have a great trip down there
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #6

Lexington, Kentucky
Asleep at the oars,
Thanks for the suggestion about extending the sleeping surface onto the walk boards. Honestly, hadn't really considered that but what a great idea...
I knew that I'd have to take a carabiner to have some redundency on the rubber tabes for the cooler. I could use there bear-proof holes to lock the lid down, but your probably correct, I could just throw a couple of straps over it for the big stuff.
Has anyone used Yeti's cushion top that is snapped to the cooler? Avatard made an excellent point about it ripping off and becoming waterlogged. Just wondering if anyone has experience with that exact cushion.
I guess I need to start looking for a river sombrero. I can just tell my wife that the members of Mountainbuzz said that's what I should do .
Beetle, thanks a million for the words of encouragement!
Old 03-20-2012   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If those side boards weren't bolted down so well, you could look into being able to raise them up to match the boxes once in camp. I did this with 2x4s, but it was a lot of work to set up every time. SOme sort of double hinge thing where you loosened straps and the decks shifted and lifted would be the $hit.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #8

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
I was reading this thread, and it reminded me of some things we did on the grand to keep ice and produce fresh. Also there is a mention of decks for sleeping. So I just can not help but get into it. Here is my favorite rig from multiple grand canyon trips.
If you would like to read more about this system, follow this link. Thanks for having a look.

Jack
jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
maybe something like this on the sides?
Cabela's: Pelican Travel Vault Gun Cases Black
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Arnold IV
Has anyone used Yeti's cushion top that is snapped to the cooler? Avatard made an excellent point about it ripping off and becoming waterlogged. Just wondering if anyone has experience with that exact cushion.
Just email yeti and ask if the foam is waterproof and whether its rated for whitewater. Then ask them if you can return it if it doesnt hold up during your grand canyon trip

I'd just get a paco pad anyhow or make your own like that one guy did. Costco has cheap 4" gel memory foam toppers that are pretty comfy. Not sure how much youd pay for the pvc