Motors on a shredder? And basketball... - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2011   #1

Hagerstown, Maryland
Motors on a shredder? And basketball...

... for no apparent reason.

First, a question: Has anyone ever mounted a motor on a shredder? Safe-blade, 3 feet down away from the raft itself. We think in theory this will work... and want to try it, just to see if it'll work.

Anyone here done that?

Also, completely serious, we're thinking about dragging the hoop out to an island in the middle of the potomac on low tide and shooting a rope-swing to raft-flop with a dunk in there... Anyone here in the Potomac area? Williamsport, more specifically? We're social animals.

And finally, basketball and rafting... We kind of put those two together! Kinda... What do you guys think? Any takers? Hard to find people to play with you when your games are unconventional...

JohnsonJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011   #2

You need to get somewhere there are real rivers to run before you get hurt in your backyard. I hope you have health insurance, something tells me you will need it!

P.S. Did you read the instructions that came with your shredder?

BTW: Great shots!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You can put a motor on a shredder for sure. Probably need to make a transom of some sort.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011   #4

Hagerstown, Maryland
Rich: I got the shredder second-hand from a friend, so I didn't get the instructions. Is that pertaining to my motor question, or does the guide say implicitly that it's not to be used by chubby hobbit-looking bastards as a landing pad?

Because I'd believe you if you said that was in there... But man, does it ever work.

And thanks! I suck at basketball normally. The voice cursing me when I get another one is my friend, who was trying to match me shot for shot, and just couldn't sink one... He can actually play the game, and to say I can't is an understatement, so he was a bit perturbed.

Raftus: Cool! Glad to hear there's a precedent, sounds like.

As for a transom, we actually put the motor on in the garage just to see if it would fit with what amounts to two boards and a vice. We may want to get some nicer boards and coat them with something to keep the raft from getting splintered, but do you think we'd need much more than that?
Old 08-02-2011   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonJZ View Post
Rich: I got the shredder second-hand from a friend, so I didn't get the instructions. Is that pertaining to my motor question, or does the guide say implicitly that it's not to be used by chubby hobbit-looking bastards as a landing pad?

Because I'd believe you if you said that was in there... But man, does it ever work.

Don't know anything about a motor (I like to row), and I have not actually seem the instructions for a shredder.

And I doubt the lawyers for Shredder have that EXACT language in their disclaimer, but, I'm going to guess (I'm not a lawyer, but I've sleep with a few), that there is a disclaimer about INTENTED USES.

BTW, the basketball is a great addition to your earlier video, glad your pushing the limits.

I still recommend both health insurance and real whitewater, BailyFest is Aug 13-14, bring your hoop!
Looks like you like to party!

P.S. Won't need a motor for BailyFest.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #6

Writer/Rafter
I have a custome frame that I sometimes use on my shredder. It would take a small 3hp 4 stroke if you really wanted to (FLATWATER only). The Shredder is not made of Hypalon and will not last long if you keep doing chubby man basketball tricks off the ladder.
steveskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #7

Hagerstown, Maryland
Steve: I forget the name, but it's a relatively small motor we're going to use. It certainly won't be speedy, but we've learned that neither is it speedy for my friend and I to paddle the shredder the half-mile between the push-off and the island we like to loiter on.

And the motor certainly isn't meant as a replacement for us learning to tandem-paddle without looking like asses... Just a short-term novelty.

See, I am indeed worried about the raft. Haven't put this video together yet, but I was swan-diving yesterday off a 9-foot ladder into the thing without any problems. As cool as that is, it can't last forever.

So, we're learning what we can on rubber mending. I don't know how long these things normally live, but I'm betting mine'll hit a respectable age. Even with the shredder frequently being the only thing between me and gravity's lackey: the ground.
Old 08-02-2011   #8

Hagerstown, Maryland
And thanks, Rich. Aye, the jumps are fun, but they lacked purpose by themselves. I was toying with doing some of our knife tricks while perched on the ladder... But honestly, with THAT I fear for the safety of the raft.

But my friend whose yard we film these in has a basketball hoop, and kept playing between takes. Got me thinking to myself, "Self... time to do something stupid-endous!"
Old 08-02-2011   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Laughing at the image of Tom Love and a team of 'lawyers' sitting on WV's porch in Ohiopyle writing up instructions and disclaimers for a Shredder.

Colorado sure ain't Pennsyltucky.
cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #10
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Just a stab in the dark, but do you sell grilled cheese sandwiches on the Fish/Dead tours, and got the shredder as a trade for blotter sheets?
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote