More Games with Frames - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2009   #61

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Noticed a Diamond fitting on a sailing canoe rudder setup and wondered where it came from. Looked at the site— the diamond design looks sort of Buck Rogers compared to SpeedRail, but worth a try. Like SpeedRail, the sizes are the standard (confusing) IPS in inches: 1" fits 1.315" OD tubing. Couldn't find prices on the website.

The Star fittings seem to require a different size tubing: 1.25" is a bit smaller than the 1" IPS/ 1.315" OD (that means iron pipe size). The web site for the knuckles says 43 mm (must be the OD which is really f-ing useful). $10.95 for a tee is about twice what a Speedrail Tee costs, i.e. not a bargain.

One of the biggest challenges with this stuff is figuring out what fits with what.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009   #62
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
43 mm = 1.69 inches which would probably be the inside diameter for use on NRS style pipe frames (i.e. pipe with 1.66 OD). All I can tell you is the Star fittings fit sched 40 1.25 aluminum pipe with 1.66" OD well. The are aluminum with a stainless alen set screw and have a hole drilled for a keeper pin/bolt. The are a bit buler and beefed up than other speedrail type fittings I have seen in person and there is no minimum order. I use and like them and have had no issues with performance.
Shapp
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009   #63

SE, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
43 mm = 1.69 inches which would probably be the inside diameter for use on NRS style pipe frames (i.e. pipe with 1.66 OD). All I can tell you is the Star fittings fit sched 40 1.25 aluminum pipe with 1.66" OD well.
Right— so 1.25" is the IPS/nominal size. (I still get confused pretty regularly.) So the Star fittings and pipe are the same size as the NRS stuff. Good to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009   #64

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey chip if you pm me your email I can send you the price list from diamond...
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009   #65

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Hey shap, checked out that woosung I.B. website. Are all those parts available through star? Could not find prices on either website. Could not find knuckles listed at star's site. Call star?
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #66
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
You have to call Star to get prices and order them. To my knowledge I think all the parts are available through star, at atleast I can confirm I have purchased, the F-1 knuckle F-2 nuckle, F-3 knuckle (ourmount fitting), the oarmount, casting deck, keeper pin. Star used to have a differnet website with the parts listed, but when they upgraded? to a new website a bunch of stuff is not on their but still for sale. You have to call them. I also think they have some of the cat frames. As far as buying a whole frame, after you get the price, ponder it a while (1 day or so) then call back and offer a somewhat lower price and ask for free shipping and they might bite on it (based on previous experience).
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #67

SE, Wyoming
Yet another brand of aluminum fittings.

The first frame I fabricated was built with Kee-Klamps that I found in an Ag supply catalog: galvanized steel, massive, and heavy. Fine for scaffolding, but not for boats. While sniffing about on the net, I came on another version, aluminum and strong-looking.

Kee Lite ~ Aluminum Structural Slip-on Pipe Fittings

Some have odd flanges that would limit rigging potential (i.e. get in the way of drybox corners). They come in four sizes— see the handy table below:

Name:   Pipe Size.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  13.4 KB

The "Nominal Bore" is the same as IPS (iron pipe size).
Old 03-29-2009   #68

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
The first frame I fabricated was built with Kee-Klamps that I found in an Ag supply catalog: galvanized steel, massive, and heavy. Fine for scaffolding, but not for boats. While sniffing about on the net, I came on another version, aluminum and strong-looking.

Kee Lite ~ Aluminum Structural Slip-on Pipe Fittings

Some have odd flanges that would limit rigging potential (i.e. get in the way of drybox corners). They come in four sizes— see the handy table below:

Attachment 1149

The "Nominal Bore" is the same as IPS (iron pipe size).
I kinda like the way those look. wonder how much heavier they are?
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #69

SE, Wyoming
Bushing for oarstands— Road Warrior Style

I love Sawyer Cobra oarlocks, but they're so-o-o heavy. So I jumped on a pair of Sawyer Mini-Cobra locks that weigh half as much (NOTE: they fit 1-3/4" oarshafts max). One problem: the shanks are 1/2" diameter instead of the whitewater 5/8" standard.

I'd already drilled out my oarstands to 5/8. So, instead of driving around to several machine shops and pissing them off for a couple $1.58 parts, I went to ACE hardware and started poking in the bins.

Found a brass thingie the right length with a great-fitting 1/2" bore, but the outside was too big. So I set it up on a carriage bolt (above) and put it in the drillpress (on the slowest speed).

A coarse file took the barbs off in a couple minutes— it fits snug in the oarstand.

Here 'tis with the stands and a Mini-Cobra lock. Feels good without grease. Next time I go to town I'll get better fitting springs & washers. The spring shown is way too stiff.

The lightweight frame is half-done. I decided to use some different fittings and had to re-order. Should have photos next week.
Old 04-02-2009   #70

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey Chip they look sweet! What fittings did you decide to go with?
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote