More Games with Frames - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2009   #51

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I don't know diddly about welding. But I do recall in my previous work life a project had a ton of stainless piping and tanks to construct, and it was all TIG welded, which the in-house pipe fitters laughed at, they didn't think it was necessary. It did necessitate some specialized welders to come in to do the work (hence probably the grumbling from in-house). The gist of my knowledge is that TIG is a hell of a lot more difficult to do well. Is this right?

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009   #52
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
It all depends on the situation, on a thick material that required deep penetration with various types of complex joints, it may indeed be easier to TIG.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #53

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I think shap is correct on both accounts, tig gives more control on both thick and thin, and looks great. Mig does provide enough penetration for thinner metals. One of the reasons I prefer tig for thin metals(dryboxes and tabs) is becouse of aluminums incredible ability to dissipate heat. This being said, at the start of any weld aluminum is cold and mig does not have the opportunity to liquefy the base metal before adding filler. The weld sits on top at the start then melts in. This often leads to a crack forming, and gives mig a bad rap. Ihowemt, tig has a long learning curve, can be frustrating compared to other methods, and is known to elicit long strings of naughty words. Bud (my dog) can testify
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009   #54

Groveland, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
The gist of my knowledge is that TIG is a hell of a lot more difficult to do well. Is this right?
They both definately have their advantages, but I think TIG welding is easier, it is not rushed, you can take your time, and it is very peaceful....I really enjoy it. With a MIG, you have to be ready to run as soon as the switch is on because the filler rod is coming!

I think of it this way, TIG=Precision, MIG= Production.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009   #55

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Right, I think I should have asked if TIG is harder to "learn" to do well. The guys that did it, didn't seem to have a problem. but, they seemed to be at the top of the pipe-fitter pecking order, kind of like a Heart Surgeon compared to a General Practitioner.

Very interesting stuff, thanks! I'd love to take up welding, but as we all do, my free time is already over-allocated. I'll leave it to you all. I have a friend who picked up basic welding to make art, huge birds and such, so cool!
Old 03-25-2009   #56

Portland, Oregon
I was a MIG and stick welder for years before trying TIG and I hated it, but what everyone is saying is true. It is the most precise and delicate and powerful form of welding. If that makes any sense. Some of the turbine vanes I weld for airplanes are only .030 thick at the ends and other parts are 4-5" thick. Either way TIG is as fast as more precise than anything out there.

Here is a a test to see if you can TIG weld easily. Take a piece of paper and secure it to a table. Draw a line in the middle of the paper. Now write your name with the hand you usually use, while at the same time writing your name backwards with your other hand "eman|name". How did you do? lol

Yes a bit silly but it was something an old welder had me do before training me to TIG. Does it hold water? I am thinking it is self bailing but it makes you think eh?
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #57

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That about makes sense! I am in the process of learning it my self and thatís how awkward I feel while doing it...
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #58

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpster View Post
That about makes sense! I am in the process of learning it my self and that’s how awkward I feel while doing it...
It felt like that to me too. Then right when I get comfortable they tell me I have to weld with mirrors too. I kid you not. little 1/2" dental mirrors. Ugh. We call it welding retardation... cause that is how ya feel!
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #59

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
So I decided to go with the aluminum and fittings instead of steel square tube to build my frame. I was wondering though if anyone has seen or used Diamond brand fittings. I checked out both Data sheets and they seem practically identical but cost a bit less then the Hollaender. They also have only a $20.00 minimum.
Diamond Aluminum Fittings
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009   #60
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Haven't seen them. The fitting used by Star look a lot better and have a keeper pin hole aready driled if you are using 1.25 nps/ips aluminum pipe (i.e. NRS style). They are only $10.95 each. Order at Star Inflatables - StarInflatables
but you have to all to order.
They are made by zebec and look like this (F1 fame knuckle):
::::: WOOSUNG I.B. :::::
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote