More Games with Frames - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-15-2009   #31

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
From the photos of your frame, it looks like you've used the same Sid's Sports double rail but you've also used the speedrails. So can the Sid Sports corners connect to 1.315 OD tubing?
Right— both the Sid's fittings and the 1-inch IPS SpeedRail and Nu-Rail fittings are made for the 1.315" OD steel pipe (easily available as chainlink toprail, and also (mo $$) in schedule 40 aluminum).

Another cheap dodge is to use 1" galvanized EMT conduit elbows, which fit inside the toprail tube, and secure them with 1/4" machine screws and acorn nuts. (Good idea to dismantle a homebuilt steel frame every season or two, and check for rust.)

The sizes (IPS/nominal vs. actual) can be confusing at first. Before you order a bunch of stuff, be sure it'll fit.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009   #32

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks Chip, I'll be spending some time this weekend at the hardware store for sizing.
Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009   #33

SE, Wyoming
Scrap to Oarstands

Couldn't find oarstands for 1.05 OD frame tube (I'm building a superlight play frame with single side rails). Thought about drilling extra holes in the NRS towers. But instead I dug around in the bin of 6061 at the salvage yard and found some nice T-rail, flat, and square billet stock (about $2.50 for a boxful).

Shaped the parts with a hacksaw, drill press, and various files. The holes were already drilled in the T-rail so I cut that piece to use them. The two holes in the strut are for carabiners, rescue bag, etc. The bevels on the oarlock socket are to allow the welder to get a decent bead.

Definitely shop around for the welding job. $85 — think I got gouged, but the guy is a boater and I like his dogs.

Here's the end product, with two 1/4" x 1-1/8" u-bolts for grip on the single rail.

Here's the pair. Cost $98 plus 4 hours of my labor.

Just found out that Sawyer makes Mini-Cobra locks with 1/2" shanks that weigh about half what the full-size ones (with 5/8" shanks) do. So I'll look for a bushing I guess.

Anyhow, I like doing this trash-into-treasure thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009   #34
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
small NRS - type yokes

Been skiing a lot lately, finally threw the bones together today for the 12' fishing cat I am working on. Smaller NRS style yolks for smaller tubes with less drop down. Still working on the drop in casting decks and some other stuff. Going to be a removable seat bracket up front (welded one is the rower).
Shapp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170080.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1132   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3170081.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1133  

Name:	P3170082.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1134  
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #35

SE, Wyoming
Nice!

Looks really, really good. Did you do the welding? What size tubing is it?

(Okay— take a breath.)

Why go with the tee fittings and endplugs at the corners rather than 90° elbows? I know that's how NRS does it.
Old 03-21-2009   #36
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Thanks Chip, 1.25 6061 T-6. I did all cutting, but had a local shop do the welding (coping and welding the pipe was $160 including tax). The yolk cost for 2 was about 1/2 what NRS charges for the same thing. T's on the top conners so all the cross bars are the same length/interchangable so I can move stuff around when setting it up for 1 person multiday instead of 2 person fishing + I use the Star frame knuckles and really like them and already have a bunch.

The real deal will be the casting decks. Should have those done a few weeks.
Shapp
Old 03-21-2009   #37

SE, Wyoming
Cool! Looking at your pics I got pretty cranked.

Cut & dowelled my frame tubes and fit things together— amazingly light so far and I think it'll hold up. I undercounted the joints and had to order 2 more elbows, to mount the footbar. Once I get that on, and the seat, I'll weigh it. Also give it the full photo treatment.

Meanwhile, I found out that Sawyer makes a Mini-Cobra oarlock that weighs about half of what the regular Cobra Scull locks do (see link below). Since I already drilled out my oarstands to the whitewater standard 5/8" and Minis have 1/2" shanks, I have to find a bushing.

Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply

Caution: the Mini-Cobras are too tight for standard 2" diameter shafts with sleeves, etc. I've got Gull wood oars with 1-3/4" shafts & rope wraps, that just barely fit.

Anyhow, can't wait to see your floors & the final setup.

The ice just went out on the river by our house, so I'm getting in the mood.
Old 03-22-2009   #38

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Both of those frames look great. Shap, I was curious how you bent the yokes? Did you use 6061 on those as well?
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009   #39
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
friend at muffler shop
Old 03-22-2009   #40

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Your friend did a good job, I've always gone with 6063 for bending. Completely agree with the modular design. Just got done with one for my 16' cat. Have some photos of before it was done. It's at the coating shop getting done right now should have it back by wed. Get some good pics then. Didn't have the rear detachable section mounted in these. It includes another foot bar and seat tray for a third person. The platform goes up front with a thigh bar. Made a couple of spreader bars to stabilize the drop bars. Made the boxes a couple years ago, so they're a carry over from the last frame. Hope you guys don't mind me poppin' in, I sure appreciate finding company with the same interests. Will try to get some pictures of the fully assembled rig next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camera 1 001.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	705.7 KB
ID:	1135   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera 1 006.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	664.3 KB
ID:	1136  

Name:	camera 1 016.jpg