Modification for an ammo can groover - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-27-2012   #1

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Modification for an ammo can groover

Has anyone tried to use these bolted bulkhead or tank fittings directly on an ammo can for fresh water and RV clean out? I have a septic so I usually get grover duty but I am thinking that if this may be a way to make things easier without spending a lot of money on poop?

Would this idea be durable enough for river use? I found stainless steel ones that are cost prohibitive, and plastic ones that look too weak wondering if these might be a good fit?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...5981&catid=477

I was thinking about doing a plug/cleanout coyote system.

Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012   #2

I may not be quite picturing what you are doing but also thinking any tampering with the integrity of the rocket box is going to be frowned upon by the powers that be.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm not familiar with a coyote system, but you may have the startings of a great idea. I picture that idea as taking a spare rocket box groover lid, and attaching those fittings to it. That way you just use that one lid for every dumping (swap it out from rocket to rocket as you drain/rinse), and you have not compromised the integrity at all since you don't use that lid on the river.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012   #4

Conifer, Colorado
I was thinking about ways to fabricate a 3" clean out for RV dump stations and fresh water imput to a ammo can insead of going the eco safe Tank inside of tank approch.

This is the coyote approch so you can see the clean out.

http://www.riversports.com/product_d...-Toilet-System

The lid is reinforced so there are ridges that you would have to work with. but I really like is idea of making one lid, and just taking it to the rv dump and dump each full box one at a time. It would not even have to go on the river.
Old 01-27-2012   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I'm not familiar with a coyote system, but you may have the startings of a great idea. I picture that idea as taking a spare rocket box groover lid, and attaching those fittings to it. That way you just use that one lid for every dumping (swap it out from rocket to rocket as you drain/rinse), and you have not compromised the integrity at all since you don't use that lid on the river.
That sounds like a fantastic option, I've seen gamma lids modified like this for emptying groover buckets.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #6

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
That sounds like a fantastic option, I've seen gamma lids modified like this for emptying groover buckets.
Hot damn, this is great. I've lived in fear (not really) of having a scat machine not work when I came by with my gamma bucket. Now I'll make one of those up and never have a problem again, just hit the RV place at home. I dreaded the thought of mucking one out into my septic tank. This will make it much more user friendly also to bring a little groover backcountry car camping. Excellent!
Old 01-27-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpineau View Post
The lid is reinforced so there are ridges that you would have to work with. but I really like is idea of making one lid, and just taking it to the rv dump and dump each full box one at a time. It would not even have to go on the river.
Yeah, not perfect, but pretty darn close. Good enough for me for a backup plan. Never underestimate the benefit of lots of caulk.
Old 01-27-2012   #8

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Hot damn, this is great. I've lived in fear (not really) of having a scat machine not work when I came by with my gamma bucket. Now I'll make one of those up and never have a problem again, just hit the RV place at home. I dreaded the thought of mucking one out into my septic tank. This will make it much more user friendly also to bring a little groover backcountry car camping. Excellent!
I can't remember who makes them, but they sell them at the river shop in town. I will be down that way salivating over boats latter today, I'll get the info and a few shots and post it.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #9

Conifer, Colorado
Quote:

Until I ran the Lower Salmon I did not realize how good you NW boaters have it. Is there any reason western rivers do not have scat machines? Dinosaur or a private party in Moab could be such a benefit.
Old 01-27-2012   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have a eco safe setup with two tanks and two rocket boxes so don't need another system. Purchased back when they were the go to setup for most of us.

Having said that, the coyote system at 129 bucks looks to be a great cost effective option, every thing there, no work, it passes inspection and unless a person has extra rocket boxes etc around the house is priced within reason of a home made setup. Of course if you have the tools and skills - making your own is a good thing.

rocket boxes seem to be finding all sorts of good uses from stoves to poop boxes plus food. Good to see all these ideas = keep em coming!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote