Modification for an ammo can groover - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2012   #1
 
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 61
Modification for an ammo can groover

Has anyone tried to use these bolted bulkhead or tank fittings directly on an ammo can for fresh water and RV clean out? I have a septic so I usually get grover duty but I am thinking that if this may be a way to make things easier without spending a lot of money on poop?

Would this idea be durable enough for river use? I found stainless steel ones that are cost prohibitive, and plastic ones that look too weak wondering if these might be a good fit?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...5981&catid=477

I was thinking about doing a plug/cleanout coyote system.

Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2012   #2
 
Osprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 772
I may not be quite picturing what you are doing but also thinking any tampering with the integrity of the rocket box is going to be frowned upon by the powers that be.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #3
 
lhowemt's Avatar
 
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,603
I'm not familiar with a coyote system, but you may have the startings of a great idea. I picture that idea as taking a spare rocket box groover lid, and attaching those fittings to it. That way you just use that one lid for every dumping (swap it out from rocket to rocket as you drain/rinse), and you have not compromised the integrity at all since you don't use that lid on the river.
__________________
Living in Montana, boating in Idaho
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2012   #4
 
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 61
I was thinking about ways to fabricate a 3" clean out for RV dump stations and fresh water imput to a ammo can insead of going the eco safe Tank inside of tank approch.

This is the coyote approch so you can see the clean out.

http://www.riversports.com/product_d...-Toilet-System

The lid is reinforced so there are ridges that you would have to work with. but I really like is idea of making one lid, and just taking it to the rv dump and dump each full box one at a time. It would not even have to go on the river.
Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #5
 
TriBri1's Avatar
 
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I'm not familiar with a coyote system, but you may have the startings of a great idea. I picture that idea as taking a spare rocket box groover lid, and attaching those fittings to it. That way you just use that one lid for every dumping (swap it out from rocket to rocket as you drain/rinse), and you have not compromised the integrity at all since you don't use that lid on the river.
That sounds like a fantastic option, I've seen gamma lids modified like this for emptying groover buckets.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #6
 
lhowemt's Avatar
 
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
That sounds like a fantastic option, I've seen gamma lids modified like this for emptying groover buckets.
Hot damn, this is great. I've lived in fear (not really) of having a scat machine not work when I came by with my gamma bucket. Now I'll make one of those up and never have a problem again, just hit the RV place at home. I dreaded the thought of mucking one out into my septic tank. This will make it much more user friendly also to bring a little groover backcountry car camping. Excellent!
__________________
Living in Montana, boating in Idaho
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #7
 
lhowemt's Avatar
 
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpineau View Post
The lid is reinforced so there are ridges that you would have to work with. but I really like is idea of making one lid, and just taking it to the rv dump and dump each full box one at a time. It would not even have to go on the river.
Yeah, not perfect, but pretty darn close. Good enough for me for a backup plan. Never underestimate the benefit of lots of caulk.
__________________
Living in Montana, boating in Idaho
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #8
 
TriBri1's Avatar
 
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Hot damn, this is great. I've lived in fear (not really) of having a scat machine not work when I came by with my gamma bucket. Now I'll make one of those up and never have a problem again, just hit the RV place at home. I dreaded the thought of mucking one out into my septic tank. This will make it much more user friendly also to bring a little groover backcountry car camping. Excellent!
I can't remember who makes them, but they sell them at the river shop in town. I will be down that way salivating over boats latter today, I'll get the info and a few shots and post it.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #9
 
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Hot damn, this is great. I've lived in fear (not really) of having a scat machine not work when I came by with my gamma bucket. Now I'll make one of those up and never have a problem again, just hit the RV place at home. I dreaded the thought of mucking one out into my septic tank. This will make it much more user friendly also to bring a little groover backcountry car camping. Excellent!

Until I ran the Lower Salmon I did not realize how good you NW boaters have it. Is there any reason western rivers do not have scat machines? Dinosaur or a private party in Moab could be such a benefit.
Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012   #10
 
Jenks, Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,734
I have a eco safe setup with two tanks and two rocket boxes so don't need another system. Purchased back when they were the go to setup for most of us.

Having said that, the coyote system at 129 bucks looks to be a great cost effective option, every thing there, no work, it passes inspection and unless a person has extra rocket boxes etc around the house is priced within reason of a home made setup. Of course if you have the tools and skills - making your own is a good thing.

rocket boxes seem to be finding all sorts of good uses from stoves to poop boxes plus food. Good to see all these ideas = keep em coming!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to borrow Groover/Ammo Can.... Sedated Whitewater Kayaking 19 10-09-2011 11:51 AM
Trailer Modification Questions gonetogamehenge Kayaking | Gear Talk 1 05-28-2011 10:39 AM
SPEED-RAIL USE AND MODIFICATION rafterman Kayaking | Gear Talk 12 02-23-2011 11:40 PM
dry top modification dapper15 Kayaking | Gear Talk 4 10-21-2009 05:18 PM
Ammo Can Groover for Gates of Lodore pcrawford Whitewater Kayaking 8 08-28-2007 10:17 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.