mess up? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-22-2010   #1

Jackson,TN/Brevard,NC, Tennessee
mess up?

So I am wanting to get into ww kayaking and i got a really good deal on a Mamba 8.0. i am 6'1" and around 165. How snug should i be inside of the boat?

seandeines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You want good points of contact at the back band, hips, thigh braces and feet. Given the specs of the boat you should be able to make it work. I am guessing it is big on you or are you getting a weird fit?
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #3

It feels good in the seat but my legs are just tight in there. It may that im use to paddling a rec boat and not use to being so tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would just make sure that the bulkhead is all the way forward, and if its still tight, yank it out. If that gives you enough room just make your own bulkhead out of foam so you can still have the contact point.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hard to say, but you could be right. I know the first time I got in a kayak I was worried about the fit because it felt so tight but turned out to be plenty roomy once I got used to it. If you can sit in for a while without excessive pain, can get in/out reasonably well, and limbs aren't falling asleep, you're probably ok.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #6

thanks for the advice. I got in it a little bit ago and sat for about an hour while I read a magazine and it seemed like it got more comfy the longer i sat so i guess i did okay....i havent fitted it yet with the extra foam shims. Any advice on that? And also it came with a seat raiser piece. Do i need to use it or is it optional?
Old 02-22-2010   #7

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
If you are 6' 1" it is unlikely you will need to raise your seat. I do raise mine but I am only 5'5" with a short torso. The higher the seat makes the boat more tippy but for me it is worth the trade off.
As far as outfitting...when I first started kayaking I felt nervous being too tight in my boat, but now I have it as tight as I can. I hate getting sucked out of my boat when I am upside down...and wet exits (no problem) if you can get in- you will get out!
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote