Measuring tube diameter - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-08-2010   #1
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Measuring tube diameter

I am starting to look for cat tubes but I want to be able to use my current frame (with dropin drybox, etc.). My frame has rounded decking that conform to the tubes on my raft. I'm wondering if I need to measure my raft tubes to ensure that the cat tubes are the same size, or if my frame will fit various sizes. If they need to be the same, is there a specific way to measure the diameter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Asheville 09 076.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	590.7 KB
ID:	2201

Click image for larger version

Name:	Asheville 09 075.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	842.7 KB
ID:	2202

Here are a couple pics to show what I'm talking about. Thanks, K

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
diameter = circumference divided by Pi
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Thanks Brainia , but that's not what I was asking. Is there a specific point at which to measure the circumference of the tubes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
diameter = circumference divided by Pi
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
your frame is too heavy. get something lighter for a cat.
Old 01-08-2010   #5
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
I was afraid you would say that. By the way, where did you get that picture of my ass?

I will send you a couple of options I'm looking at and see what you think on cat packages. Tax return next month- whoohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
your frame is too heavy. get something lighter for a cat.
Old 01-08-2010   #6

Idaho, Wyoming
tube diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
I am starting to look for cat tubes but I want to be able to use my current frame (with dropin drybox, etc.). My frame has rounded decking that conform to the tubes on my raft. I'm wondering if I need to measure my raft tubes to ensure that the cat tubes are the same size, or if my frame will fit various sizes. If they need to be the same, is there a specific way to measure the diameter?

Attachment 2201

Attachment 2202

Here are a couple pics to show what I'm talking about. Thanks, K

place your tubes on flat surface, span a 2x4 or other flat object from tube to tube. the distance from the floor to the bottom of the 2x4 is the diameter
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
I'm wondering if I need to measure my raft tubes to ensure that the cat tubes are the same size, or if my frame will fit various sizes. If they need to be the same, is there a specific way to measure the diameter?
I see what your saying. You need to measure the raft tubes where the frame touches the saddle or rounded portion of the frame that will be contacting the new cat tubes. As long as your within a couple of inches of that with your new tubes you should be fine. It is best to have as much contact with the saddles as possible to prevent wear points. I'd try and pick tubes that are as close to that diameter as possible.

Does that frame extend down into your boat or is it a flat frame with a foot bar of sorts? Just curious.

Billfish....I like your method of measurement. Quick and accurate.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I see what your saying. You need to measure the raft tubes where the frame touches the saddle or rounded portion of the frame that will be contacting the new cat tubes. As long as your within a couple of inches of that with your new tubes you should be fine. It is best to have as much contact with the saddles as possible to prevent wear points. I'd try and pick tubes that are as close to that diameter as possible.

Does that frame extend down into your boat or is it a flat frame with a foot bar of sorts? Just curious.

Billfish....I like your method of measurement. Quick and accurate.
That is exactly my concern. I don't want the frame to wear on the tubes. I like the setup of this frame with what you call "saddles" (makes sense) for that reason. It has a foot bar that lowers into the raft but doesn't reach the floor. After reading the other thread on cats, I think the biggest concern will be weight in my drybox and whether or not it sits above the water when seated in place in the frame. Time to switch to an aluminum dutch oven I think...
Old 01-08-2010   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
I ask if it's a flat frame because cat tubes need support on the inside of the frame to keep them from rotating and give them lateral support.....if that makes sense.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
I was afraid you would say that. By the way, where did you get that picture of my ass?
You don't remember? it was the same day you got the MANIA tattoo.