Maxxom - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-07-2011   #1

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2001
Maxxom

Anybody know anything about this boat beside its pvc, guled and has an i-beam. Seems like a good price and comes with a 5 year warranty. Any feed back would be appreciated.
el bandito

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011   #2
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
They have been around longer than another pvc boat company who's name I will not mention! I don't know much about them but I would guess they would be on par with Star which I have a lot of experience with. They may even be made in the same factory, as at least a half a dozen korean made PVC boats seem to be. Stars start out great but deteriorate faster than higher quality boats when subjected to abuse or left in the sun all the time(we never 303'd em cause my boss said it makes them too slick for the guests to stand up and fish). And with a 5 year warranty, Maxxon definitely has more faith in their product than the previously (un)mentioned. How much are they new?
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
We have one, the older valves suck (blue weird non-standard sized military valves). The PRV valve in the floor is in the worst place and seams to get perpetually clogged. The floor chamber seems to be really sticky when trying to blow up after being rolled (a lot more than out other boats). It has low rocker and is punchier than our other boats. Ours has the ridgid plastic handles which suck for paddling (bad placement). That being said it works fine for the $1000 we payed including a salmon river type frame, rear frame, 3 good oars, EZ-pump, straps and a few decent PFDs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grande Ronde 2007 (9).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	3283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jason's salmon photos (25).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	3284  

Name:	Lubell (21).JPG
Views:	183
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	3285   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA030521.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	3286  

Name:	Salmon 08 JS photos 071.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	3287  
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
I forgot to add that the bail holes along the perimiter also had metal gromets installed. The gromet idea was a bad one, they get bent over easily forming a sharp edge, we pulled them all out. Also the importer (evergoing products in Kent WA) told me a couple years ago they had a problem with the floor placement, which made that years model bail very slowly. Ours seams to bail fine. I believe it is from the late 1990s. Some of the glue is showing the signs of degradation issues (seam tape starting to delam but no seam leaks yet, knock on wood). Of note is that the boat was only used a hand full of times before we aquired it in the spring of 2007. Since then it has seen a fair amount of use with many trips on many rivers like the rogue, main salmon, lower salmon, grande ronde, Mckenzie, NF Umpqua
Old 03-08-2011   #5

Goshen, New York
What do you mean by punchier?
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
cut/smashes into waves rather than riding over top
Old 03-08-2011   #7

San Juan Islands, Washington
With all the bitching about cheap boats he does, I'm shocked shapp will admit to owning a Maxxon.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #8

Goshen, New York
shapp, do you find that flippier, or worse handling, or is it just less of a roller coaster exciting ride?
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
I learn from my mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrefried View Post
With all the bitching about cheap boats he does, I'm shocked shapp will admit to owning a Maxxon.
I tell it like it is and I learn from my mistakes. I have stated on several occasions we have a maxxon raft, maxxon cat tubes, and had an Odyssey. The boat was just a "bonus?" the other stuff was worth more than the $1000 we payed for all of it. I got the maxxon tubes for $375, couldn't pass those up. I would not pay the $800 they want for the maxxon tubes though. You need to know the maxxon products have about a 250% or more mark up on them I have found. When it comes to its eventual seam failure death (like its brother Odyssey ecilpse) it will likely be replaced with a used Sotar.

The boat is stable, just a wetter ride, more water in the boat also means more sluggish, though with the rivers we have run it on, occassional Class III/IV-, you don't notice it. On more continuous Classs III and IV I would expect a big difference.

To be fair on the positive side, the material on our model year is thick, and the bottom is double layered and very very thick, which also translates into a heavy boat.