Max size for a wavesport xxx - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-19-2017   #1

Portland, Oregon
Max size for a wavesport xxx

I have recently found a love for old slicy boats and I am wondering what the max size people have fit into a xxx. I have a certrifuge and also a dagger ego which is a blast to throw around at 6' and 200 lbs but can I go smaller? What kind of experiences have you guys had? I would try one but I don't know anyone who has one in my area, Portland OR.

PaddleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017   #2

I had a XXX back in the day and it was tight on me at 5'9" - I can't imagine a 6' person in it. If you are ok with torture it might be ok for a little bit, but I'd make sure you sit in one before you buy.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The XXX I owned was the most uncomfortable boat I have ever paddled. I'm only 5'6" and 155 lbs and I couldn't get in it with any kind of foot coverage (had to go barefoot). Then my legs and hips were jammed in so tight that my legs would falls asleep every 15 minutes.... Lastly at 155 lbs the chine on the boat's edge set perpetually under water and most of the time the surface of the channel was even with the top of my spray deck.

If I had been trying to learn to squirt boat it might have turned out all right, but I was a beginner trying to learn to read and run rivers and absolutely hated the XXX.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017   #4

Paddling Since: 1993
Im 190 and currently paddle mine from time to time on Shoshone. Couple things to keep in mind, there are technically two XXX's in the world, one produced by Chan in steamboat with crosslink plastic and one produced in the southeast following confluences purchase of wavesport made from linear plastic. The distinction is important because the older boat had loads more foot and knee room. I couldn't get in the new one in 2000 but paddled the old version for a year prior. Second get large thigh braces for the boat, typically comes with smalls. Or you could do like me and remove them all together until you find an old pair of wavesport large thigh braces for sale Anybody got some lying around??
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017   #5

Portland, Oregon
Thanks MREkid. Do you know how to tell the difference? Do they come with a serial number like a lot of other boats? I took the thigh braces out of my Centrifuge because they were gigantic and uncomfortable. In the Dagger Ego the thigh braces where much smaller, adjustable and comfortable so they got to stay. I think the thigh braces in most old playboats are way overkill. I prefer to be wedged into the boat by tightening the backband which pulls my butt forward and pushes my knees into to the boat.

Are the bow and stern underwater at 190 LBS? I did see one brochure that said the boat could fit people up to 190 and 6'.
Old 08-21-2017   #6

Paddling Since: 1993
bow and stern at water level if I sit flat. More typically though the stern is slightly under water and the bow is slightly above. I run moderate class three in it and find it to handle it just fine other than it is of course grabby and sometimes I end up on stern or bow running the rapids

As far as the difference, I am sure the serial number would differentiate, I just dont know the exact date of the manufacturing change. The easiest way for me to tell the difference is the profile of the bow and stern. The older cross link models got to roughly 1/2 inch or less at the tip where as the newer superlinear boats were much thicker (roughly an inch or more) at the tip when viewed from the side. The cross link boats also had a little more mottled texture on the deck, where as the linear boats were smooth. Send me a picture if you need an ID it is pretty obvious if you know what you are looking for.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Old school WS plastic. Not the most scientific but multi colored cross link plastic has a greater color variation between inside and outside. Not always easy to see but if x-link is say red white and blue then the inside looks pinkish with small red and blue dots. Almost like two different layers. Some times you can see the "layer effect" in the cockpit rim. I think the outside cools faster while the inside mixs more. Doesn't help for a one color boat.
Old 08-22-2017   #8

Portland, Oregon
So I found one at a local used gear place. Any idea If this is an early model or late?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1319_1503445133796.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	21730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321_1503445150304.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	21738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320_1503445169260.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	21746  
Old 08-22-2017   #9
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
XXX bump

I'm 6' and I paddled a XXX and several very aggressive squirtboats you can always go lower and volume is a crutch. The thing to remember is that you can always add volume to the feet if needed. All you have to do is heat the bow with a hot air gun, bump it with a car jack, and then throw a bag of ice on top over it to set the new shape. A 32" inseam size 11 feet will fit and I have an Angst that is 27 gallons and a Ninja that is way lower than that. You can fit if you want it, but you can't wear big foot gear.
Old 08-22-2017   #10

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I'm 6' and I paddled a XXX and several very aggressive squirtboats you can always go lower and volume is a crutch. The thing to remember is that you can always add volume to the feet if needed. All you have to do is heat the bow with a hot air gun, bump it with a car jack, and then throw a bag of ice on top over it to set the new shape. A 32" inseam size 11 feet will fit and I have an Angst that is 27 gallons and a Ninja that is way lower than that. You can fit if you want it, but you can't wear big foot gear.
That is good to know. I have a 34" inseam so I should be fine. I have flattened the stern of one boat so far and it was a big success. I used the heat gun idea with boards and clamps. A friend of mine told me to try boiling water. I guess whatever it takes to get the plastic warm so you can move it and keep it in place while it cools.