Marine Plywood or plastics? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2009   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Marine Plywood or plastics?

I am wanting to build the decking on my double rail frame. What's everyone recommendation on which route to go with? Plastics or Plywood?

Also, does anyone know where (or how) to buy marine plywood in SLC area? Is it something that Homedepot would carry, or do I have to go to a specialized store?

Thanks,
Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Kazak, I just used regular old plywood and used a wood water sealer w/ xtra mineral spirts. its cheap! but i will redo them this winter after 5 years of use they look old. I have seen people use fiberglass to coat wood too. so if ya got the skills you can get everything at home depot. ps. i am going to use the high grade finished plywood this time. good luck.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Sutherlands - 1780 West North Temple, has 3/4 in. marine plywood in stock. $70 a sheet (4 X 8 I think). Home Depot & Lowe's don't carry it in stock. Not sure about Burton lumber???? Pretty pricey no matter where you get it.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Thanks guys, I will check Sutherlands out.
Old 07-27-2009   #5

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Lots of discussion over last winter on this subject. Try searching Chip or lhowemt posts.
personally went with plywood/varnish/poly-u coatings. lots of options with the plywood - started out with some junk and used it to rough cut some patterns - used a 1" and 2" drill bit to cut out access for webbing tie-downs. etc. had lots of fun arranging and re-arranging water jugs/ammo boxes and other stuff to get the optimal swiss-cheese effect. when I got close to what I wanted I shelled out for the wood.
There was a nice discussion here on the various grades of plywood. I've noticed that plywood develops pockets or holes in the edges which lead to water getting in between the sheets if the are not sealed up.

btw - did you ever get your 8' bimini ?
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Thanks for the reminder, getting it today! Will use it this weekend, will post pics up once I get it up. Are you looking for one? I found one for pretty cheap
Old 07-27-2009   #7

Gardnerville, Nevada
I've always thought they looked cool. A nice alt to having the beach umbrella going in-side out when a gust comes up. I'm guessing you got a sombrero? if not pm me with info
thx,

Scott
Old 07-27-2009   #8

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
another option for quality plywood that can be had at the big box store is baltic birch. It comes in 5/8", 4x5' sheets and is priced way under marine grade. Its basic use is high-end cabinet work and there are no voids and its put together with water proof glue.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #9

Gardnerville, Nevada
ditto on the birch, i used some thick stuff for my floor 3/4" i think. it's heavy, but solid with a bit of flex underfoot (170lb). solved the flex by using a long camstrap under the floor from one side of the frame to the other to give the floor some support underneath. the birch seems to be holding up well so far...
Old 07-28-2009   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1973
I'm going with plywood that I already have. I'm vacumm bagging some 4 oz glass onto it, sealing the edges with unthickened epoxy and coating that with a couple coats of left over herculiner. If I take the time to make sure the shape is correct it should be bomber for years and cost me nothing but time.
wyboat is offline   Reply With Quote