Maravia IK - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-25-2013   #1

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Maravia IK

Hey, just curious if anyone is running or has run any of Maravia's IK's? I've been doing Google and forum searches for over 2 weeks and haven't really found much (not even a picture!). On one forum a guy referenced Maravia IK's as a "failed kayak"(?). Not really sure what this is in reference to. By the look of the kayak, it seems to be decently made. An old IK comparison ('07) gives the stats for the Maravia Breeze and Breeze II as having 11" tubes, made out of welded PVC, and their respected lengths.
I'm currently at a three way road, either going with a Maravia IK, JPW IK, or a SOTAR Febreezi. Got a line on a decently priced Maravia 12' IK right now, and just trying to find out any more info than what I can get out of the owner. The Maravia website has no info.

Dusto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My friends and I have been rowing Maravia cats & rafts for a long time, and I don't remember Maravia ever making an IK. Perhaps before my time? At least not in the past 10 years that I can recall. Maybe I missed something? Also not sure what a Sotar Febreezi is either? Never heard of that. Sotar makes an SL IK, ATV, and BMX models. Also, JPW doesn't make an IK. They make a Pack Cat and a Fat Cat, but these aren't traditional IK designs.
Not sure where you are getting your info from???
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #3
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
i've only paddled a sotar fabreezi once, and it's a stout boat. a little bigger in most aspects than my hyside paddilac, and fairly bomber (for a pvc boat!!)
can't say i've ever seen a jpw ik either.
good luck!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013   #4

Cottonwood, Arizona
A good friend that I kayak with is running a Fabreezi. I'll probably post some pics of it in the near future, as, there is no info on the internet about them either. They are a custom rig that SOTAR builds by order. 14" tubes with a foam insert in the floor instead of a bladder, 11-1/2' - 12' long, 40 some odd inches wide. It's a bad-butt IK, just large and spendy. JPW's website shows a couple of pics of the IK's that they've built (according to one of their sales people I talked with this morning, they haven't built one in several years). The dimensions they have on their CAD drawings show the tandem at about 13-1/2' long, 40" -42" wide, with 12" tubes. But there are no prices listed or reviews that I can find. The Maravia is even more vague, with only the beforementioned comparison showing any info.
Old 10-25-2013   #5

Cottonwood, Arizona
Here's a link to the IK comparison which shows the only Maravia IK info I can find.

WA :: Whitewater Inflatable Kayak Buyers Guide
Old 10-25-2013   #6

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
re the above posted comparision chart....

A couple of things that are misleading......
The Force XL is 22.5 inches wide? Really?? I just spent 2 hrs in mine prior to reading this post and am wondering where that piece of info came from.

Also the statement wrt the Tomcats from Tributary being unworthy of having money spent buying them is not true. My paddling buddy has one that is several years old[he got it used] and since its a tandem, he cant carry it but drags it all over.Not a scratch on the bottom to worry about and overall holds air perfectly. Same experience from other Tomcat owners I have spoken to.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #7

Cottonwood, Arizona
I've been running a Tomcat Solo since 2006, and it's been a pretty worthy craft IMO. Not that it has anything to do with the info I'm trying to find out. I'm ready to upgrade to a tandem lengthed IK that's built in the US.
Old 10-25-2013   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My apologies about the Maravia, Sotar Febrezzi, and JPW IK. Never heard of them, and they aren't on their websites, so my mistake. I asked my rafting buddy about the Maravia, as he has about every boat Maravia makes and has owned Maravias for about 15 years. Here's his answer

"Maravia did make an IK in the early 2000s and it was about 40% cheaper than the Aire Lynx model that I bought (now at $1399.) I didn’t like the Maravia design and I must not have been alone because they don’t make them any more."
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
i owned a used but nearly pristine maravia ik about 6-7 years ago. only the SB floor had the bombproof,stiff urethane coating. the tubes seemed almost like just a pvc material. one trip down browns at low water and a few modest rock bumps and i was seeing fabric already on them. pretty disappointing durability from maravia, in my opinion. i sold it soon after due to that issue. that's all i got.

here's a crap vid frame from that fishing float down browns...
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #10
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd like to see a picture of a Febreezi, or however it's spelled, anyone got one on here? I've gone kayaking a couple times borrowing a really long boat, and I might have to buy another IK this spring. My wife's gonna kill me :-0
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote