Map Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2009   #1

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Map Questions

I was wondering if anyone uses a GPS on the river for mapping rapids, take-ins and take-outs, etc? Does everyone just rely on visuals and memory? Use other types of maps, on or off the water? Where is a good source for river maps?

I'm kind of an electronics junkie, so any excuse to buy a GPS will just feed my habit...

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I now use a gps for rafting, with paper maps as backup when batteries die. Just got off Deso last week and the GPS worked great. For rafting river maps, I use Belknap guides and Martin and Whitis' RiverMaps books. Duwayn also puts his GPS files for the rivermaps books on his site available for download.
markdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Depending on the rivers you are interested in this site may have some good information.
GPS Waypoints
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I always use a gps. On multi-days, I don't keep it on (lame batteries), but I use it here and there to pinpoint where we are on the map, and turn it off. For day trips, I have been using it on the Lochsa to speed up my learning of the rapids, great tool, with a cryptic note about the rapid (hole bottom R!, or such)

I am not doing campsites (tried that on the grand), I never really used them, and it pushed me into having too many separate route files as my gps limits the routes to 50 waypoints. Lame!
Old 06-03-2009   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Whitewater Rafting Trip Rivers in Google Earth

Not much of a gps guy. Does this ^^^^^^ give coordinates that could help you find someplace? (if you check the red column it gives you rapids like Murphs hole on the MF Salmon.)
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Whitewater Rafting Trip Rivers in Google Earth

Not much of a gps guy. Does this ^^^^^^ give coordinates that could help you find someplace? (if you check the red column it gives you rapids like Murphs hole on the MF Salmon.)
That's cool, but you'd have to create the GPS file from scratch, I think (or else I'm not THAT tech savvy). Besides the rivermaps site, many other listserves have files that folks have uploaded with gps file (Matt Liedecker's, Idahowhitewater, etc, etc).

The fun part is if your gps is magellan, like mine is. You have to do some tricks to get it to read the garmin file, then do some cleaning on it before it's ready to use. PITA, but I do not want to spend more money on a GPS.

So on that note, if you're buying, get a garmin, because that's what most people use and it's easier to swap files.
Old 06-04-2009   #7

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I went ahead and picked up the Garmin Nuvi. I wanted something I could use both in the car and on the river. It's not waterproof, but I liked everything else abouot it. Also picked up the topos for the four corners states, so I'm ready to go!

At least with the topos, I can know where I am on the river and where I left my car.

As I run more rivers, I'll probably be able to build up some of my own files on rapids and such. For now, it's just good to know where I am. I load the upper Colorado from Rivermaps. It was a good list of waypoints, but I did have to edit them some to get rid of some I didn't care about. Too many waypoints clutters the map and makes it hard to read.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #8

Chaffee
I make custom river maps for pretty much anywhere. Topographic maps or aerial maps that you can print at home. Not sure about the GPS input, but I can also give lat/long or UTMs of known points so that you can enter them yourself. Send me a PM if that would be of any help to anyone. If you're printing the map yourself my services are cheap, I just want there to be more useful maps out there really, especially for side canyon hikes on the rivers. anyways.
watahwatah is offline   Reply With Quote