Making a cooler into a dry box? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-05-2011   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Making a cooler into a dry box?

Has anyone ever made a cooler "dry"? I have some large coolers that I am interested in making into dry boxes. If anyone has done this before, or know of a supplier for gasket material, feedback would be appreciated. I know that the hinges and latches will not be as bomber as aluminum dry box latches, but I'm looking to go on the cheap.

watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...box-29071.html

Here's a start.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Thanks - did a search containing "gaskets" and figured that would be a key word for this idea - this post didn't come up as one of the options though.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011   #4

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Cooler as dry box

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
Has anyone ever made a cooler "dry"? I have some large coolers that I am interested in making into dry boxes. If anyone has done this before, or know of a supplier for gasket material, feedback would be appreciated. I know that the hinges and latches will not be as bomber as aluminum dry box latches, but I'm looking to go on the cheap.
Put a pvc bra on it and beef up the hinges (sheet neoprene). A little pvc fabric from Seattle fabrics or Rochford supply(better costs) as well a laminating a drawstring in the pvc will keep the water out and yield a good seat as well.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #5
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
find one with a concave lip on the lid and put some weatherstripping in it, cam strp it down and dont flip!
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #6

Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
All you need is a strap

I do a lot of expedition boating and dry boxes can be an issue - cost and weight. After a good deal of trial and error I have determined that the best dry box option for me is a cooler with two cam straps to keep the lid tight. Cost will be less than $100 and they last a long time. They weigh very little. I use this system for a kitchen box and it works great. Lots of room for dutch ovens, coffee pot(s), other cookware and all the other stuff for cooking, serving and eating. With the straps tight they make adequate dry boxes and good seats. Of course I also use my other coolers for perishable food. Find a cooler that fits between the tubes - you can buy fancy cooler hangers or just use straps to hang them as well - if you put a smooth piece of light plywood on the bottom before you hang on the straps the cooler won't rotate. Coolers offer the additional benefit of no sharp edges. Hope this helps.
Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote