Major Life Decision (Next Kayak) - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2009   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Major Life Decision (Next Kayak)

I have a major life decision to make, in what will be my next kayak. Me: 6'3" 200 lbs, size 11 feet, 34" inseam. Previous kayaks: Dagger Honcho (just sold it) and Pyranha S6F 193 (my playboat). Past triumphs: Everything on the Ark from low to mid water. Future pursuits: Everything on the Ark from low to high water.

For a while I was leaning towards the SuperHero, as I thought it was everything that I needed. The only problem is that I haven't found many used, and when they are, the person wants almost new dollars for them.

To make matters even more confusing, my wife, unbeknown to me, bought me a used Pyranha H3 255 for cheap. I took it out on the Royal Gorge last week, and had problems at first, as the boat is freaking huge compared to what I am used to. I couldn't roll, and had to swim at Wallslammer as I got hung up on a rock. I went to the kayak park and now know how to roll this beast. I think I could like this boat, but it almost makes it too easy, well at least the Gorge at 350, as the holes are nothing to the length. Seems like this could be a good boat for real high water runs next year during peak, so I think I will keep it.

But now what I want is a river runner that is still quick but can carve and play. Would the Superhero be that boat, or should I be looking at a cross boat? Which cross boat is more geared to be better at river running than playing? SuperFun? CR250? Anything else someone would recommend? I really liked the Honcho, but the outfitting was really bad, and I couldn't get the boat setup so it felt right.

If I bought a Superhero, is there anything that the H3 can do that the SH can't? In other words, is there a reason to keep the H3?

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I say that the H3 will serve all purposes the SuperHero would as they are fairly similar depending on which size H3, the superhero is HUGE volume wise. Both big boats for big water, edges for carving.

Personally I would look to getting a SuperFun if you learn to like the H3 and its comfortable for you. The SuperFun has enough volume to take it down some good high water class 4 if you want. Then has enough shape to still be a decent playboat for most and have seen some people rip in them playing.

I am bigger than you and have an Everest for my big boat and SuperFun for my small boat. Will check out the MonStar this year, but have been super stoked on those two boats to cover all my needs. Have run the SuperHero on some easier runs and like the boat a lot, but it seems soo short to me, I like the little extra length on the Everest but that is also cause I am used to it now.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #3

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
When I broke my H:3 245 last year I looked into getting a Hero and hated it. If your are looking for something "quick" I don't think a hero is for you, the Hero was the SLOWEST boat I have ever been in. Also, to me the Hero also felt huge in a bath tub type of way and that was coming out of my H:3. Lets just say in my book the hero has no redeeming qualities and I'll leave it at that. But I know a lot of people that swear by them and boat great in them so TRY IT before you buy it.

I ended up in Riot Magnum which I love but it is more on the creeker side of things. I liked my H:3 so if I where you I would give the H:3 some more time and stick with your big boat/play boat combo.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009   #4

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
You might give a Large Ammo a test drive.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #5

Park City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hartley View Post
You might give a Large Ammo a test drive.
The Ammo looks sweet. Am I stupid to think that this is something fairly close to the SH? About the same length, with higher volume and a flat playboat like hull. I would definitely need to get some Pyranha ink if I get this boat too.

Since this boat is quite a bit short, but not that much less volume than the H3, could this boat do everything a H3 does? Or am I going to have problems punching holes since it is shorter?

At my weight and length, will I have any problems getting into a Medium? It says it is for people 154-242, while the L is 187-275, while being 6.5" shorter.
Old 09-22-2009   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Try moving the seat fore and aft on the H3. I have a 245, weight about 200 and love it. Seat adjustment and forward aggressive stance were key in getting comfortable in the boat. For big-water Ark (which it sounds like you're looking to do), the H3 is great. I've kept mine specifically for that application.

For river-play, you might give your SF193 some more time, although I'm surprised you fit in it. The S-series pyhrana boats made great down-river playboats and can be picked up on the cheap. Might look at the 200-series.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #7

Park City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Try moving the seat fore and aft on the H3. I have a 245, weight about 200 and love it. Seat adjustment and forward aggressive stance were key in getting comfortable in the boat. For big-water Ark (which it sounds like you're looking to do), the H3 is great. I've kept mine specifically for that application.

For river-play, you might give your SF193 some more time, although I'm surprised you fit in it. The S-series pyhrana boats made great down-river playboats and can be picked up on the cheap. Might look at the 200-series.

Sounds like I will keep the H3. I wish I could try the 245, as it would probably be a little less bulky feeling. But my legs definitely don't complain, as this is the first boat that I could be in for hours at a time. I read you need to set the boat trim on a flat piece of water by adjusting the seat. Am I just wanting the boat to be equally sunk into the water on the front and back?

I have taken the S6F 193 down a couple of rivers, but it is rough, as my legs go to sleep fairly quick in it.
Old 09-22-2009   #8

Indian Hills, Colorado
At 200# I find the 245 a little small if anything. You'll get used to the big size and grow to appreciate it. I found with the H3 that taking a few days on the river to try fore and aft seat positions was helpful...too far forward and you'll have the back come around on you...too far back and it will be hard to engage front edges. The boat demands an agressive paddling position to keep the stern from engaging when you don't want it to. A few other notes: those wing nuts on the bulkhead bolts need locktite (and tape, just to be sure). The pyhrana ratchets break constantly, keep an extra strap with you or at least a 2' cam as a temporary replacement. Once you get the outfitting dialed, don't f-with-it, it's touchy! Still laughing about a 6'4" dude in a 193...tight fit buddy!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #9

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
If you are seriously considering the fun series, then go with the 4fun. I'm 6'3" and weigh 225 and it was perfect for me (but I paddle a superstar now). The super fun would feel huge on you. When I still paddled my 4 fun though, I paddled everything from the biggest water class 4 to super low water, and the boat rocked. I agree that the super hero isn't the fastest boat out there. That is my creek boat and I really dig it for that, but if you want a super fast long boat, that isn't the one. But, the 4 fun was the best boat for what I wanted, which was something stable that I could learn in. Based on the stuff you mentioned running, I bet you would love the 4 fun (and it is way comfortable). Also, while the superhero has the same hull as the fun, I would never consider the superhero to be very "playful."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
I have a major life decision to make, in what will be my next kayak. Me: 6'3" 200 lbs, size 11 feet, 34" inseam. Previous kayaks: Dagger Honcho (just sold it) and Pyranha S6F 193 (my playboat). Past triumphs: Everything on the Ark from low to mid water. Future pursuits: Everything on the Ark from low to high water.

For a while I was leaning towards the SuperHero, as I thought it was everything that I needed. The only problem is that I haven't found many used, and when they are, the person wants almost new dollars for them.

To make matters even more confusing, my wife, unbeknown to me, bought me a used Pyranha H3 255 for cheap. I took it out on the Royal Gorge last week, and had problems at first, as the boat is freaking huge compared to what I am used to. I couldn't roll, and had to swim at Wallslammer as I got hung up on a rock. I went to the kayak park and now know how to roll this beast. I think I could like this boat, but it almost makes it too easy, well at least the Gorge at 350, as the holes are nothing to the length. Seems like this could be a good boat for real high water runs next year during peak, so I think I will keep it.

But now what I want is a river runner that is still quick but can carve and play. Would the Superhero be that boat, or should I be looking at a cross boat? Which cross boat is more geared to be better at river running than playing? SuperFun? CR250? Anything else someone would recommend? I really liked the Honcho, but the outfitting was really bad, and I couldn't get the boat setup so it felt right.

If I bought a Superhero, is there anything that the H3 can do that the SH can't? In other words, is there a reason to keep the H3?
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #10

Park City, Utah
I guess I should have defined by definition of "playful" a little better. For me, all I want is something that I can side surf and throw an occasional flat spin on when going down a river. Since I can't even hit aerial moves in a kayak park, I would rather have bow and stern volume, for both comfort and what I perceive to be better resurfacing and ability to bust through holes. I really like the Fun boats, and if I was going to have a quiver of 1, that would probably be the boat I would go after.

So my ideal boat is something with a decent amount of volume (for reasons mentioned above), is easy to roll, has a flat hull and can edge and turn on a dime. Right now, I really like the look of the Ammo. Now is the hard part in trying to find a second hand Ammo.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

Tags
kayaking