Main Salmon Cat size - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-10-2012   #1

Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 1975
Main Salmon Cat size

I have an 2010 Aire Ocelot cat with a NRS 72" x 96" frame with a floor, 2 seats, cooler and dry box. We are hoping to get a permit for the main salmon which i have never run. If we don't get it we will run the lower salmon which i have done several times in rafts.

My question is will the 14" Ocelot do ok loaded for 2 people ( me and the wife avg size ) plus gear. We will probably go lite on the personal camping gear etc. We will be with several bigger cats and rafts. Any advice on loading from those that have done the main? will the Ocelot do ok? I have read it my be too small.

Thanks!
Randy

randyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
If you pack light you can probably make it work. That is backpack style camping, assuming you are not carrying group items. The biggest issue is going to be seating space with a relatively small frame size. Leg space occupies quite a bit of room on such a small boat. You might consider putting your cooler up in the front and use a seat such as the stadium chair (got mine with coupon for $26 at Sports Authority). This will allow the passenger to sit atop the cooler in the front with a comfortable backrest.

Your frame is pretty wide, you should be able to fit a 120qt cooler with ease. keep in mind 120Qts = 30 gallons =~ 200 lbs of weight when full. If the flows are high overloading your cat means its sluggish to maneuver, and difficult to fight the flow of strong currents while in the rapids. If the flows are low the push will be less but you will probably hit every shallow rock further complicating your maneuver.

so be sure to pack light or bite the bullet and get some longer, larger diameter tubes ...
Old 01-10-2012   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Andy and Bax is selling a front cross bar piece that can be used on NRS frames to creat a front seat with foot deck for a cat, which adds some additional room up front for a person, although their price is a little spendy, you might be able to get someone to fab something similar in your neck of the woods (note the pic is on an 18' cat but the principle is the same)
http://www.andyandbax.com/media/photo/aireleopard18.jpg
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012   #4

Hamilton, Montana
I have my passenger seat in the back with a flip high back over the dry box. cooler in front. I did a couple of long trips in Montana last summer with it pretty loaded down. it was a bit sluggish but i never got concerned. I will pack much lighter this time but i am sure i will be hauling stuff for the group on my boat due to i own most of it. But i will try to get the heavy & bulky stuff on the bigger boats and rafts.

Are the weight limits on the aire site for this boat pretty accruate?
Anything i need to know about the main salmon?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2012   #5

Hamilton, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
Andy and Bax is selling a front cross bar piece that can be used on NRS frames to creat a front seat with foot deck for a cat, which adds some additional room up front for a person, although their price is a little spendy, you might be able to get someone to fab something similar in your neck of the woods (note the pic is on an 18' cat but the principle is the same)
http://www.andyandbax.com/media/photo/aireleopard18.jpg
Where can i find this set up? It is pretty cool. I thought about putting the NRS deluxe foot bar with out the pegs in it out front.
Old 01-10-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Spendy to say the least.

I think if you contact Nrs you can get them to bend a custom footbar that can use a breakdown kit and mount to the existing lower rails. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than an extra welded yoke (especially if you already have one). And if you bash a rock with it you are not out $400
Old 01-10-2012   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hotsprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyk View Post
Anything i need to know about the main salmon?

Thanks!
The hotsprings accessible river left on the first day (from Corncreek launch) are NOT accessible from the campsite just downriver. We tried to hike from that camp (can't remember the name) but couldn't find a way.
Thankfully our jetboat shuttle dropped us off for a quick soak on the way back up . FYI - definitely worth checking out
LongmontRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #8

Hamilton, Montana
Great info.
How much was the jet boat to bring you back?
Old 01-10-2012   #9

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
It was expensive...There were 8 on our trip and it was a few hundred/person as I remember. Considering the length of a car shuttle tho, it was extremely nice to have.

As an edit. We used Arctic Creek Lodge for the jet boat shuttle.
LongmontRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #10

Hamilton, Montana
thanks!