Madcatr vs Payette River Equipment frame

I'm looking for a solo playboating frame for a 14' cat that:

-I could also use on a 12.5' cat
-lightweight, ideally 45-55 lbs
-breakdown option
-good foot stirrups
-forward rower positioning, Idaho style
-cargo room for: small cooler, repair kit and small dry bag

I like the MadCatr design and the strength of aluminum but they come in about $1,000 whereas the Payette is $595 and powdercoated.

Dilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If you're broke, go with PRE. If you have any sort of a chance of affording it (even if you have to sell your children), go with Madcatr. I didn't think PRE did breakdown?

I recommend you post over at Idaho Whitewater Yahoo also. We need a good cat-fight!
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #3

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Madcatr makes the best frames out there. It isn't overpriced for what you get.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
PRE does seem to have a breakdown option:
Payette River Equipment. - (20 283-RAFT
Old 03-05-2011   #5

whatever pays the bills
I have 2 PRE frames and love them both. They are strong, light and powdercoated in my chosen colors. Madcatr makes incredible frames out of different material. The real thought should be setup and what features you have to have versus be willing to give up. I gave up the break down option on my play frame to save weight, increase strength and to keep it simple. Either way you go won't be wrong, just get it built for what you really want. Good frames last a long time.
idbugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Madcatr said he's booked out until the end of the summer but PRE can build a frame in 2 weeks- and it does have a breakdown option and is light. But man do I love those Madcatr foot bars and fold down oar stands. Used Madcatr anywhere?
Are the PRE oar stands are adjustable?
Old 03-05-2011   #7

whatever pays the bills
Mine aren't but the system could be set up to be adjustable any number of ways. Ron is pretty open to ideas which is why you really want to have in mind what you want when you order it. So as long as you can explain it, he can build it.
idbugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #8

Boise, Idaho
The madcatr foot bars and oar stands make his frame the Cadillac of cat boating IMO, and I have never even seen one in person. I have talked to him on the phone and he knows his stuff. I would call both he and PRE and see who gives you better info. When I talk to Dave I always feel like I want to drop 3 grand on a cataraft due solely to his knowledge.

If Dave is booked you could try to get a loaner frame(from PRE, madcatr or someone who has one), row someone else's boats, or just use an NRS frame for now till you can get one built. I plan on using an NRS frame till I can decide on which welded frame I want. I can build the cat frame from all the parts I have laying around plus drop bars.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Schedule, yes that is one of the main deterrants for a Madcatr frame. Maybe he has a demo frame available, but I know at least one is about to come to Montana to someone else. I'd say if you don't have any frame go with PRE, if you can wait and afford it, go with Madcatr. Or whichever feels right, go with your gut. Dave's are excellent but there are plenty of top catboaters using PRE. Also, if you are already used to the double-straight foot bar, PRE will work fine for you. Some people that used that style for years do have a hard time switching to Dave's foot loops. They call for a wider leg stance (which IMO is stronger) and holding on with your toes a bit differently. I have a double-straight foot bar on my raft, and much prefer the custom design of Dave's.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Yeah I talked to Dave and he gave me the contact info of the dude in Missoula who has his only demo frame. I'm bummed it's the only one but at least The Zoo is close and I can hopefully give it a go. Dave knows his stuff and he seems very detail oriented and calculated so that who I'd optimally want him building my custom $1,000 frame.

Thanks for the feedback on the PRE's. I'm not very accustomed to Idaho style yet and I only have experience with NRS type pegs so I'm sure I could get used to either PRE or Madcatr, but I've always wanted a wider stance than the pegs offer so once again advantage Madcatr.

I do have a beast of a DRE type frame that I can muscle around while waiting and dialing in my preferences. Plus if I end up thinking that 14' tubes are just too big for the technical stuff I like I might go with a narrower 32" frame on some 11-12' tubes.

I was originally thinking of getting a light 36" wide frame for my 14' that I could move over to shorter tubes if, and most likely when I head that route. However, I have a tendency try and make one thing work for too many uses. It's probably best to tinker a little more and definitively decide whether I'll be going with some smaller tubes first. That way there are no limitations to designing the small cat of my dreams. An 11' Legend with a 32" wide PRE or Madcatr sounds pretty sweet- especially if I have the coin to hold onto my 14 footer too!