MADCATR cat frames - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-04-2009   #1

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
MADCATR cat frames

Anyone own one of these? Looking to make a light weight play frame and these seem to be the ticket. Would like some pics to look at. Maybe some dimensions? Feedback on rowability and the like, pros and cons. Thanks!

mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Search the threads, lots of talk about his frames. They are the BOMB! Very light, and more like a piece of art than a device. The footloops are so incredible, it's like being part of the frame instead of holding on with your toes. I don't have much time to chat now, so do some searching and maybe I'll post later.
Old 10-05-2009   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Madcatr makes very nice custom frames. I have rowed a buddies and I was impressed. As they are custom he will make whatever dimensions you want. They are welded and powder coated - my buddy has had some of his powder coating wear off. They seem to be the first choice of many Cat boaters in Idaho.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009   #4

billings, Montana
I am convinced of the design and would like to incorporate some of the features in a winter project frame. Would like to use 1.25 for the side rails so nrs oarlocks could be installed/ moved around. Maybe a passenger seat bar with nrs knuckles. Would like to know what one of their frames weigh in at.
Old 10-05-2009   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
In the Madcatr photos I've seen, the adjustable/breakdown parts of the frames were joined with clamps that look like the ones used for bicycle seatposts— never seen that on other cat frames.

Might be worth a look at the parts catalogs for bike frames or a visit to a custom bike frame shop. The Madcatr frames have curves that resemble those on bike frames. Very different to the 90° crossings and radius bends on most boat frames (which resemble scaffolding).

In any event, it sounds like Fun (with a capital F).
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #6

billings, Montana
Think I will stick with conventional fastening methods. Stick with what I know. Bent up the beginning of a foot bar on a greenlee bender at work. Turned out nice, so I ordered some more aluminum. Won't get it for another week. Can't wait to get going on this. Probably gonna get expensive. How'd that light frame work out this season, Chip?
Old 10-05-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
In the Madcatr photos I've seen, the adjustable/breakdown parts of the frames were joined with clamps that look like the ones used for bicycle seatposts— never seen that on other cat frames.
Those bike seat post things held the oarstand in fore/aft position, and then also the seat cross bar fore/aft. They played no role in holding the frame together. The breakdown portion you can't see, because the attachments are INSIDE the tubes. It's pretty amazing. Instead of it fastening together, it is held under compression, with the bolts at the front and back along the shaft that is inside the break-apart tubes. It's pretty amazing. I notice NO difference in the solid-ness of the breakdown demo I had, and my new non-breakdown. No one would ever know it was breakdown by looking at it.

I need to get some photos of my frame this weekend, the only ones I have are while boating, which don't show all the detail well since it is black. I'll be on it one last time for a couple of days, looking forward to a fall trip.
Old 10-05-2009   #8

billings, Montana
I've seen those internal compression bolt/nut things before, but never used on aluminum. Cool. What length tubes do you have that frame on? The first high clearance frame I built did not have sufficient depth to stabilize the tubes from flexing in big water(shallow drop bars). The frame simply did not have enough real estate to control the tubes. (10 inch drop on 24 inch diameter tube) This seems to be solved by the use of deeper inside drop rails and raised middle section of the cross bars to retain clearance. Would be really thankful if you could provide any pics. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-05-2009   #9

billings, Montana
some pics of previous frame
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 03 camera 084.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	740.3 KB
ID:	2006   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 03 camera 083.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	874.4 KB
ID:	2007  

Old 10-05-2009   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
madcatr construction is highly intricut, you have not chance of copying it from the few photos on his website. Dave is a master craftsman.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote