lost and confused whilst picking a paddle - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2007   #1

Student/Engineer
lost and confused whilst picking a paddle

Confused as to which paddle and what length.

3 years sea kayaker getting into white water this season. Bought me a used Jackson 2 Fun and have been out in Golden close to a dozen times and on grizzly a couple times.

5ft 6inches. Arms couple inches shorter than normal. Prefer wider stance on the shaft than typical.

Paddle size:
Have been borrowing a 191 Werner twist BS from the shop (normal shaft size). With a 191 I realized that it maybe slightly long for places like golden (I like real vertical strokes because this stubby boat turns too soon!). So I thought I would shoot for 189-188cm but the shop guys think thats too small.
When I paddle I feel like a cm of the shaft is burried in the water (past the blade attachment). Not sure and am confused!

Which paddle:
Was thinking of the Werner Twist glass or the AT2Flexi. The AT2 flexi is got more surface area but I think I would be fine since the flex shaft should not make me feel too overburdened! The twist is the tried and true one ...but it does not move me ...I dont feel the water ... I tried the At2 in a 194-196 at the pool and the feel is nice. I tried the At4 on the river and did not like it much! Too stiff.
Its a lot of money so I am not sure what to do.

Your thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.
-Assad

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
It doesn't matter. As a new WW boater, you're bound to loose your first paddle within a few weeks of purchase.

(Sounds like you like the AT2, get it!)
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #3

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
As a new WW boater, you're bound to loose your first paddle within a few weeks of purchase.
Hmmmm! Ok!

The flexi is a great paddle! I am 6' and use a 196. If you go to their sight they have a sizing chart for each paddle they sell!
Hope this helps.
Here is a link=AT Paddles - Bentshaft Whitewater and Touring Paddles
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007   #4

Student/Engineer
what!

I am going to try not to loose my paddle. Beeen paddling in the surf before ...we are thought not to let go off the paddle.

-assad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
It doesn't matter. As a new WW boater, you're bound to loose your first paddle within a few weeks of purchase.

(Sounds like you like the AT2, get it!)
Old 05-07-2007   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Just f'n around. My personal advice is the Werner Player, for durability, but that's not on your list.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #6

Student/Engineer
Yeah according to their size I should be a 190-191 but I feel I need it a little bit smaller! But maybe I have bad technique and so I feel I need a shorter paddle. maybe.
-a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpster View Post
Hmmmm! Ok!

The flexi is a great paddle! I am 6' and use a 196. If you go to their sight they have a sizing chart for each paddle they sell!
Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2007   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
your the one that will be paddling it, if you think you need a smaller paddle then thats what you buy.
Old 05-07-2007   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Jarraa,
I too am 5'6" and have been paddling for 16 years and have owned quite a few paddles in my day. I have been using an AT2Flexi 191 for a few years now and in my opinion it is probably the best paddle I have ever used. Its easy on my joints, comfortable, and worth the money.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
FWIW, I'm 5'10" and paddle a 191 Werner sidekick glass and would go shorter if all I was doing was playing. I have the 191 because my creeker sits me up so high. I like short and will never go back!

My suggestion is 188 or 185!

I have a friend who's 5' and paddles a 179. That thing is wicked!
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
work your technique

work your technique im 5' 10" i use a at2 standard 194 its sick you should paddle with your core musscles not your arms just a little hint, and like some of the other guys said you will loose it soon anyways and this is true maybe not loose but you will probably break it if your are surfing in shallow holes so buy a cheaper paddle they do the same thing when you are just learning
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote