Looking to purchase inflatable - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2013   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Looking to purchase inflatable

Anyone near Boise have a Sea Eagle 380 or 420 that you wouldn't mind me just seeing if it "fits"? I'm heavy at 5'8" and 270 lbs but very active and I want an inflatable kayak. The SE 420 Pro looks great for tandem (1, 2 or 3), holds 800+ pounds, but the specs for width states 1'3" and my butt is about 1"6" wide as best as I can measure. I am losing weight as I get more and more active but I won't take 3" off the width of my butt anytime soon.

Any suggestions in addition to losing weight? I can spray the sides with PAM and force myself in I suppose. Giant shoe horns? Any recommendations for quality inflatable that has a bit more width?

Anyone have thoughts about the Sea Eagle 380 or 420?

Thanks very much!

Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013   #2
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
in the end, you get what you pay for...
my suggestion, save an extra $200 and buy a tributary tomcat tandem. not the 800lb capacity you're thinking of, but most good ik's aren't gonna come close to that.
i haven't heard the best things about sea eagle's ik's. kinda like the best boat that money can buy... at k-mart...
i'm 6'4, in the 280 range, and i use a tomcat solo. i absolutely love it. it can handle bigger stuff, but even with my fat ass it's still super agile in the technical stuff. best purchase i ever made!!
i have a hyside paddilac tandem for overnighters or taking passengers. it's an amazing boat, but i coulda bought 2 or 3 tomcat tandems for the same price.
any way you slice it, you're gonna have fun on a ducky!! keep your eyes open for a good used boat. you never know what you can find for cheap out there!! good luck!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #3

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
don't do it man

I bought an older se eagle explorer off craigslist. Nice start, but looking to go to Tributary when I get a new boat. The separate floor is a loser. Mine doesn't bail well either. It will run class IV water. I wouldn't pony up for one new. A Tributary Tomcat solo only runs $650. Wouldn't recommend any boat with separate floor based on my experience.
formerflatlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013   #4

Florence, Colorado
As far as $, just checked seaeagle.com-380x is $949 and 420x is $1049. According to nrsweb.com(nrs website) tandem tomcat is $799. Better boat and not as much. I would based on other IKers recommendation get the cheetah chair for seats, though it is a little more. Whatever you do, stick with the known names, Aire, Tributary, Hyside, Riken. Watch and see if any outfitters are getting rid of one; save a few dollars and drag an already used boat across the rocks.
Old 08-16-2013   #5

Boise, Idaho
The Sea Eagle 420 is around $1,200 depending on what you get with it -- is that cheap?
Old 08-16-2013   #6

Florence, Colorado
No. Check nrsweb and look at Tributary. Even the better Tributary strike 2 is the same money. I see guys who take IK's through the Royal Gorge. No one running serious water is using a sea eagle. Mine, an early 300x doesn't bail worth a darn. Hanldles OK in class 3 water. I have mine because I got it on craigslist for $75. It has been good so I could see if paddling was for me. I will be buying a better boat in the future.You can get a better whitewater boat through NRS.
Old 08-16-2013   #7

Florence, Colorado
just checked craigslist for boise. Shows two Aire lynx for sale @ $750 ea. Aire is one of the best and a steal at that price. Another add shows rentals on the same boat for $60/day or $15/hour. Try one and see if it works. Ads are in "boat" section.
Old 08-16-2013   #8

Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the recommendations -- led to interesting research and options. I'm excited living near Boise with many quality runs and lakes nearby.
Old 08-16-2013   #9

Florence, Colorado
And, oops, ignore the sea eagle ad beside the thread. LOL. Buy a good paddling jacket too. If you are learning, you will eventually be swimming.
Old 08-16-2013   #10

Boise, Idaho
Former -- You're an angel!! I'll follow up and let you know. Thanks again, you and BigBen!