Looking to buy a planning (flat) hull river runner kayak - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-26-2012   #1

Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
Looking to buy a planning (flat) hull river runner kayak

I had a Mamba and enjoyed how it paddled but sold it cause no matter how much i messed with the outfitting i could never get it to where my legs and feet were not falling asleep and going completely numb after only being in the boat for about 20 minutes! Decided to buy a Stomper and even though it is super comfy i HATE how it paddles and i'm spending more time upside down then i am right side up. Been tring to research and read as much as possible online about the Burn, Diesel, and Detox. Haven't been able to find much info on the Fluid Detox though. Any of you guys paddled any of these three boats and have any useful advice on what to go with? I know... demo, demo, demo, I'm hopefully going to demo a Diesel either this weekend or next, but there is no where around me that have Burns or Detox's for demo is the problem i'm gonna run into.

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you in NC? Burns are everywhere here in CO...I'd say you need to demo a burn! It is awsome!!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #3

Shelby, North Carolina
Yeh, i'm in NC. I'm between the White Water Center in Charlotte (which don't carry Pyrahna boats) and Asheville. Might be a store up near Asheville that have demo Burn's that i'm not aware of??? Seems like people either hate or love the Burn from stuff i've read online. No inbetween on it, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012   #4

Boise, Idaho
You should look at a Zen too.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You might want to try Diamond Brand Outfitter/Green River Adventures. From what I remember they had a pretty good selection of boats that you could demo. Also jump on Boatertalk and look for the user Kayakpsych, he is a good friend of mine that has a few Burn's in his fleet that you might be able to try, and he is located in Hickory.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #6

Shelby, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
You should look at a Zen too.
A friend of mine that i paddle with has a Zen, but i don't like the Jackson boat's outfitting.
Old 07-27-2012   #7

Shelby, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
You might want to try Diamond Brand Outfitter/Green River Adventures. From what I remember they had a pretty good selection of boats that you could demo. Also jump on Boatertalk and look for the user Kayakpsych, he is a good friend of mine that has a few Burn's in his fleet that you might be able to try, and he is located in Hickory.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2012   #8

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
The whitewater center has tons of boats to demo, have you tried them all out? A river-play boat like the Freeride or Fuse are great boats with planing hulls.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #9

Shelby, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdignan View Post
The whitewater center has tons of boats to demo, have you tried them all out? A river-play boat like the Freeride or Fuse are great boats with planing hulls.
Don't want a river/play, but instead a river runner that could be used for easier creek runs as well. WWC have Wavesports (i think), but not Pyrahna nor Fluid, and i'm not a fan of the outfitting in the Jackson boats at all.
Old 07-27-2012   #10

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Playboats help you learn faster. I owe my solid brace to the 4Fun, it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is if I were paddling a longer, more stable boat. I'd also take it down easier creek runs like Big Laurel and Wilson at lower levels.

The whitewater center also has Liquid Logic and Bliss Stick boats. Have you tried a Diesel out? They have a bunch of those there.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote