looking for Leatherman Crunch. - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-11-2009   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
looking for Leatherman Crunch.

I went to four stores looking for the Leatherman Crunch multi tool. It works like vice-grips, I found it on- line but I want to look at it to make sure it works as advertised. Any one own one or know of a Denver area store that carries them.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
Do not live in the Denver area so cannot advise on local stores.

But, I can tell you that the unit I purchased when they first came on the market, works as advertised.

It is a quality unit but not as helpful to me as a regular leatherman.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #3

thornton, Colorado
I was raking leaves and lost my Leatherman of 15 years, did not notice till the trashman left. What part of the crunch do you not like. I raft mainly and carry a small pair of vice-grips in my repair kit for various chores. Did not want to spend 75.00$ if it was not worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009   #4

Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
I've got one and can definitely recommend it. I spent the summer guiding up in AK and it was probably one of my most used pieces of gear. the only two negatives that i would say about it is that the metal used for the teeth/jaws are not quite as hard as I would have liked. Working with a lot of stainless steel wore the teeth down faster than I thought would have happened. Also, I'm definitely more of a fan of straight blades...serrated blades are alright, but they're a royal PITA to sharpen...Also it would have been nice to have a set of small scissors instead of the 4 different flathead screw drivers. So it goes. All that said, I really like mine and would still recommend it.

Cheers,
West
DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #5

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBoater View Post
I've got one and can definitely recommend it. I spent the summer guiding up in AK and it was probably one of my most used pieces of gear. the only two negatives that i would say about it is that the metal used for the teeth/jaws are not quite as hard as I would have liked. Working with a lot of stainless steel wore the teeth down faster than I thought would have happened. Also, I'm definitely more of a fan of straight blades...serrated blades are alright, but they're a royal PITA to sharpen...Also it would have been nice to have a set of small scissors instead of the 4 different flathead screw drivers. So it goes. All that said, I really like mine and would still recommend it.

Cheers,
West
I understand, making a living outdoors, it is very important to trust your equipment fully. Leatherman makes quility products, just needed as much input about the crunch as I could aquire, not to many people out there are using them. They are hard to find at local sporting goods, so before ordering one on-line I needed input from people that used them in the field. Looks like they have 25 yr. warr.
Old 11-13-2009   #6

Granby, Colorado
I looked all over Denver and the only place I found one was at the Army Navy Surplus store in Arvada on Olde Wadsworth.
jemjemez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #7

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjemez View Post
I looked all over Denver and the only place I found one was at the Army Navy Surplus store in Arvada on Olde Wadsworth.
Thank you very much, you do not know how much that means to me. I know exactly where that is. I will go there tomorrow. I really do not like ordering anything on-line. Mountain buzzards have me helped on many occasion. I just purchased my first computer two years ago before I retired.
Old 11-13-2009   #8

Groveland, California
Warranty...

Quote:
Looks like they have 25 yr. warr.

Leatherman makes great tools, and they stand behind their warranty. After owning one for 4 years I melted the tip off of the phillips bit while working on my water heater (yeah...I thought the power was off.) Anyhow, I mailed it to them for repair, they sent back a brand new knife and covered the return postage. Can't beat that.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #9

Groveland, California
....forgot to mention, Costco usually carries Leatherman. If you can't find it at your local retailer, you might give them a shot.

Had to see what the Crunch was all about and found this: Costco - Leatherman H503 Tool Knife with Sheath and Crunch® with Sheath Includes Squirt® P4
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote