Looking for dry top/pants advice, IR? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-25-2015   #1

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Looking for dry top/pants advice, IR?

Pretty new to Kayaking in Pa and trying to build up my gear. I've read a lot of posts about dry tops but I haven't read much about IR Arch Rival dry top and pants. Anyone have thoughts? I don't really wanna drop the dough on a suit just yet. It's definitely information overload- dry top, semi dry, splash, etc. I just wanna spend the right amount of money to stay mostly dry. Thanks!

Jmurph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
My suggestion is to get a kokatat rogue drytop - it's a life-long good gear investment. Goretex simply lasts longer than the other proprietary laminates.

Then get some sorta-ok dry pants (e.g. NRS), that will suffice until you can afford a drysuit.

Nothing against IR, they make great stuff too. Kokatat is just a step above anything else on the market, particularly when you consider their extraordinary customer service and repair services.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #3

Celina, Texas
I just ordered a Kokatat Idol from Backcountry.com for 25% off. I look at is a one time investment, with a dry suit that functions as a dry top as well.
RiverMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015   #4

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
That's the one that separates? Sounds like an unbelievablly great ideaI hope it stays dry!
Old 08-25-2015   #5

Celina, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurph58 View Post
That's the one that separates? Sounds like an unbelievablly great ideaI hope it stays dry!
Yup! It got really good reviews. I would have waited, but couldn't pass up the sale.
RiverMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #6

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Kokatat Dry Bibs with a drytop. The bibs will be dryer than any drypants.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #7

Indian Hills, Colorado
I think Ten Mile is also running a 30% off deal on Kokatat right now...970-668-9294, Frisco, CO.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Buy IR! What are ya like 30 miles to the shop in Confluence? Go over and try on some stuff, if you have an issue just take it back for repair. Those guys do top notch work, I see them working on other brands there all the time. I was chatting with an owner back at cheatfest, he said they had stitched a Gore kokatat and their figure 6 together and had given it to a sponsored boater to see which failed first...He was very confident the Gore would leak first. Besides, everything shits the bed eventually, buy local and you don't need to mess with shipping.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015   #9

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Buy IR! What are ya like 30 miles to the shop in Confluence? Go over and try on some stuff, if you have an issue just take it back for repair. Those guys do top notch work, I see them working on other brands there all the time. I was chatting with an owner back at cheatfest, he said they had stitched a Gore kokatat and their figure 6 together and had given it to a sponsored boater to see which failed first...He was very confident the Gore would leak first. Besides, everything shits the bed eventually, buy local and you don't need to mess with shipping.
Well, thanks for the geography lesson and advice to stimulate the local economy but I was actually looking for opinions from those who have used any of their shirts or pants. I have been there and the material seems very thin. Maybe by design? I don't know
Old 08-26-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I have a ton of their stuff, yes the arch rival semi dry stuff is thin, the neoprene waist on the pants are nice but not super dry, I made mine into bibs and now they stay up bettter which keeps the water out. I use the arch rival combo on all but really cold winter days or cold water and a high chance of swimming. The only problem I've had with mine was one of the velco leg cuff came undone, I stopped by after a day on the lowerand they fixed it while I watched.

If you are actually from PA, then the only bike you'll ever buy is a Harley Davidson and only boat in IR or blue jeans.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote