LL Stinger - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2014   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
LL Stinger

Has anyone here paddled a Stinger? Any thoughts on how it creeks or how it compares to the Green Boat?

Thanks!

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014   #2
Tim Kennedy

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
LL Stinger vs. Dagger Green Boat

I have been paddling the Stinger since early July 2013. Here's some feedback:

"Creeking" ability: It paddles fine on moderately "creeky" rivers and on steeper creeks where you already know the lines really well. Due to it's length and lack of rocker, I'd have a hard time taking it on unfamiliar Colorado creek runs. I have paddled it on Pine Creek and Numbers and the Royal Gorge at low flows and had no problems. I paddled my Stinger 95% of the time on Gore Canyon this past season at flows ranging from 750 cfs to 1300 cfs. I took it down Bailey on the second day of Baileyfest (400 cfs?), but didn't run 1st Falls or Supermax. But on steeper, tighter runs like Bear Creek and Vallecito I paddle a shorter boat. The lack of rocker compared to short creek boats and the long flat "stinger" stern make it harder to boof. This is noticeable on sloping, late boof drops. But, the deck sheds water really well, should you sub out. The rails on the hull enable catching eddies a snap, if the eddy is big enough. It carries its speed really well (which it was designed to do). So, you kinda have to take a "race line" approach to the steeper rapids.

Comparison to Green Boat: I had a Green Boat for about a year prior to getting a Stinger. I would say that the Stinger glides through rapids, whereas the Green Boat tends to "plow" and bob a little more. The Green Boat seems to have more bow rocker and a higher deck in the stern. The rail on the Green Boat is shorter and less pronounced. Some people feel that the Green Boat is easier to turn with a sweep, and stays on the surface better. I think that the Stinger holds its line through the waves and chop better, and can be adjusted when you need to with leaning into a stern draw/sweep or using a gliding bow draw/duffek to "carve". The Stinger has much better initial stability due to the flat hull section under the seat. The Green Boat has great secondary stability, but the rounder hull may seem a bit tippier than most creek boats.

*Both boats are easier to paddle and probably better suited to creeking than old school boats of comparable length such as the Dancer, Tornado, Lazer, etc.

I hope this helps.
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #3

Salida, Colorado
So it's a long shot, but does anyone near BV or Salida have one I might be able to sit in sometime soon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Wouldn't CKS have one?
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #5

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFXR View Post
Wouldn't CKS have one?
Nope. They don't get any in until the end of the month, or sometime in March. If I want one for the spring, I probably have to pre-order the thing.

Old 02-05-2014   #6

Westminster, Colorado
I paddled a stinger during the Gore race as a spectator. Borrowed a buddies. First time paddling it, socks for hip pads because I forgot mine out of my boat. Overall this boat was pretty fun. Held a line well, bridges all the holes. Really stable. A good boat for things like Gore and the Ark. My buddy has paddled it some on Bailey, he has complained about the length on the tighter creeks. If I had an extra $1000 I would have one in my garage.
Old 02-05-2014   #7

Why the interest in this boat? To me, it's a downgrade from the XP9/10 line.

My real question is why did they remove the deck rigging? One of the primary features for multi-day is gone. With all that extra deck space, you think someone at LL would consider some sort of rigging...a groover slot would have been genius.

I just don't see the sense in this boat.
Old 02-05-2014   #8

Salida, Colorado
Quote:

My real question is why did they remove the deck rigging? One of the primary features for multi-day is gone. With all that extra deck space, you think someone at LL would consider some sort of rigging...a groover slot would have been genius.

I just don't see the sense in this boat.

Well they make an XP version with a hatch and skeg. Going fast down river... that's what it's made for.

Old 02-05-2014   #9

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Quote:
How many XP9/10s have won the green race? Now go look at how many stingers have won the green race and how many have been in the top 10. The boat was designed to go fast and win races, not as a crossover flat water/class III boat like the original XP series was.

As a previous reply noted, the Stinger XP has all the bells and whistles you would want for multi-day trips.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdignan View Post
How many XP9/10s have won the green race? Now go look at how many stingers have won the green race and how many have been in the top 10. The stinger and the XP series aren't even comparable IMO.
Not my point whatsoever. LL is pushing this for GC use as well, which I can and cannot understand; it has speed which is great for slow water, but no deck rigging means I have to add my own...and drill holes in a brand new boat.
Which makes it a downgrade from an XP9/10.

Not wanting to argue, just asking.