LL jefe grande vs superhero? pros/cons? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-27-2011   #1

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
LL jefe grande vs superhero? pros/cons?

lookin for opinions: 6'4" 210#, comfy in class IV and looking for my first creeker.

I've paddled the LL and it eddies really well and doesn't have the catchy planing hull the superhero has.

But it's long as hell and I love how small and quick the 2011 Superhero is and low water technical stuff and boulder gardens is what i really love so it's short length is great for a creeker, but i've got a possible line on the LL from a friend for stupid cheap.

Are there any reasons anyone can think to go with a longer boat like the LL jefe grande? it's a liability in crammed, technical lines, but perhaps the floatation's better for boofing? Certianly tracks really well when you're getting hit on all sides.

And as i said, I do like that it's got a displacement hull, while the superhero has the planing one, at least in 2011 boats. Wouldn't that planing hull catch you up on rocks more easily if you're a little sideways and ping ponging down something? it'd catch an edge wouldn't it, where as the Jefe Grande would catch up.

Hmm, I never considered this: was the superhero in earlier years ever made with a displacement hull?

I'm also am a big fan of that nice cushy "save your back/knees/ankles" footblock EJ developed a few years back. I'll never be dropping anything bigger than 20 i expect but i love the safety of having that suspended footblock protecting me if i pencil onto something. Plus, the boat just snakes in and out of tight stuff so quickly.

Any pros of the LL over the superhero circa 2011? Clearly i'm pretty sold on the super, except for that planing hull but i thought it'd be best to ask the forum. Eddying, I can't recall which would catch microeddies better. . . . hmmm

thanks.

themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
honestly if you are comparing a 2011 superhero to a jefe grande you are trying to compare jeeps with cars, personally id bring the stomper into the category. The Jefe series is a trusted series designed by Johnnie Kern; The stomper is basically the bastard child of a Remix and Jefe and its unremarkable fast on eddies as well as technical lines, my buddy ted said it best it makes you a better paddler and im sure alot of other would agree with that statement, still based of the planning hull series rather than displacement like the jefes which gives it that nice speed and control where you can carve(like the superhero) they also integratted a continuous rocker which really helps in tremondous ways, so so smooth, picture your rocker skiis or snowboard(fun right). they dont have the catchy sides at all and can grind the same in my opinion to a jefe. plus awsome outfitting and great color options on top of that super rich dessert and you have your self a real steal of a deal. there was a chick beating all the men in the competitions with the help of this boat.. also jefes are rad i use mine regularly

Id stay away from crosslink plastics
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #3

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Demo. Judge boats on your personal paddling style "likes"and"dislikes." Not too often will you find boaters who hold the same opinions on specifics of different boats.

If your not totally sold, demo more.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011   #4

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
displacement hull with slight chines

I'd love to ride a stomper but they're too new. not much of a used market for bargain basement shoppers. i'll probably have a budget of 450 max and no one's going to offering up there stomper that they've only had since august for that much this spring.

Yup yup on the crosslink. unless you can get welding rods from jackson, (spose you can) sounds difficult to repair.

Demo'ing: I really like the jg's carvy feel. it's just too damn long.

Any other creekers that have a displacement hull, largely, but nice beveled chines for whipping into microeddies quickly? that's what's appealing about the stomper yes, and what the Superhero's can do. whatever brand, it's gotta fit a tall guy. I'm 6'4" as i said above i think.

i've demo'ed the burn and didn't like it. Felt boxy, tankish, slow. I'm sure as Cphili said I'll run into some disagreement from others on this, but he's right, how it feels to you is what matters.

what about an old karnali? or was it the everest? i forget pyranha's past creeker. . .
themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011   #5

clackamas, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Have you tried the Villain? Just curious. Not a pro creeker myself in any respect but am wondering if you have tried the Villain having given the SH a shot. Have heard great things about the stomper, but I love my Villain. It rivals any creek boat out there, taking anything you can throw at it like a boss. Also, you can probably find one in your price range, in good shape, if you keep your eyes open. Just a thought.
cliffdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm a large boater myself at 6'8 240 lbs and I've never really liked the length of the superhero. I just transitioned from slalom paddling back in the southeast to creeking in Colorado and I'm partial to the longer boats. Just purchased a Pyranha Everest at the end of year sale at Golden River Soprts an I'm loving it. Most of my southeast creeking friends all paddle the Burn and love it and I will swear by the everest for a creeker for a larger boater. In terms of the LL Jefe, I demoed one back east on the chatooga, overflow creek and on horsepasture creek, all of which have stout class V runs and the jefe felt amazing boofing and stomping on big drops it was just a little tight for my size. At 6'4 I'd either go for a Karnali, Burn (if you can fit) or the LL Jefe Grande. Jackson makes great play boats but definitely not a fan of their creekers
themobius51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #7

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I would also look at the big Nomad, I had one of those at 6'3" and 210 and absolutely loved that boat. After that I had an Everest, Jefe, Super Hero, Rocker, Jefe Grande and now a Stomper 90. If I had to rank the creek boats that I have paddled I would have my top 3 be the Stomper, Jefe Grande and the Nomad 8.5 all vying for the top spot.

As people have said before, get out there and try some of these boats if you can. Just because one is a great deal, doesn't mean it's the boat for you. Hope this helps.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #8

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Personally, the only time I ever noticed the size of the Grande is at the end of the run. Once, its on dry land it looks bigger than most normal size boats The length of a creeker should not be an issue when choosing a boat, the current trend in modern displacement hull design is towards longer boats, look at the Newest offerings from Jackson and Prijon. Both are longer boats than the Grande. A longer boat has an easier time punching larger holes.

Really when it comes down to it, the Jefe and the hero are totally different boats that shouldn't be in the same sentence. The hero is a super stable learning platform that was designed to bring creekboating to the masses. Where as the Grande is a tippy expedition boat designed by some sicko East Coasters to run the gnar.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #9

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle View Post

Really when it comes down to it, the Jefe and the hero are totally different boats that shouldn't be in the same sentence. The hero is a super stable learning platform that was designed to bring creekboating to the masses. Where as the Grande is a tippy expedition boat designed by some sicko East Coasters to run the gnar.
. I have to agree with this. truth right there.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle View Post
The Hero is a River runner not a creek boat and im pretty sure it doesnt bring creekboating to the masses.

and the Jefe series was designed by Johnnie Kern and pretty much is a testement to what a real boat that brings creekboating to the masses looks like. The Jefes are still around for one reason they are "The Boss"
plus jackson outfitting doesnt come close in comparison to the "bad ass" outfitting.

when it comes down to it i would buy a remix far before a hero in the regard to river runners and a jefe above both in regards to steep creeking mank
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote