LL jefe grande for large paddler - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-27-2014   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
LL jefe grande for large paddler

So I'd like to get into paddling again, haven't for 10+ years when I was a kid. At 6'4'' 270 dry I'm concerned about boat size for me. I'm going to try and demo a few boats but have an opportunity to get a LL jefe grande, Werner paddle, spray skirt, pfd and helmet for $600. Any thoughts on this boat for beginners, specifically a paddler 20lbs below the upper weight limit of the boat?

Thanks

icantswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I am 6'3 295

I think you would be happiest in a jackson karma. It has the most volume, tallest cockpit, and a plaining hull, displacing more water sooner meaning you sit up higher in the water overall.

when you get into rockered boats like a stomper, jefe, or prijon pure you will find the seat is in the center of the rocker putting you deep in the water letting water overtake your stern behind your back.

it is because the cockpit rim is low here, and thats where the water sits. I hope you can visualize what im saying.

I have paddled them all, and I can say with out a doubt, I can really get after it in the karma. It has the volume to displace the water that guys our size need.

plus its the easiest outfitting and quick to adjust or to get room for your legs to stretch.

the only others I can think of would be a fluid bazooka L or maybe wavesports new recon 90 or pyrahnas new burn xl.

If class 3 and under is what your after the remix xp 10 is a roomy boat with lots of volume. but more of a crossover boat, all others i listed are sutable for class 5 whitewater and are specific whitewater boats

also if you are wide and tall jackson and fluid are good, and if you are tall and narrow pyrahna and wavesport are good.

demo like you said, I'll be up in the PNW in april if you dont find a karma by then!!

bob
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The Jefe is built for running steep low volume whitewater. Outside of of that world it can be fun but it's overkill and not necessarily the best tool for progression of skills. Virtually any planning or semi-planning hull will be a better boat for a class III paddler to have fun and progress. That said, it's not a dangerous boat for you to use and it's relatively user friendly.

The package isn't a bad price depending on what paddle/pfd/skirt are provided. Post up the specifics and we can comment more. I wouldn't use a second hand helmet and know loads of others who feel the same way.
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I am 6'3 295

I think you would be happiest in a jackson karma. It has the most volume, tallest cockpit, and a plaining hull, displacing more water sooner meaning you sit up higher in the water overall.

when you get into rockered boats like a stomper, jefe, or prijon pure you will find the seat is in the center of the rocker putting you deep in the water letting water overtake your stern behind your back.

it is because the cockpit rim is low here, and thats where the water sits. I hope you can visualize what im saying.

I have paddled them all, and I can say with out a doubt, I can really get after it in the karma. It has the volume to displace the water that guys our size need.

plus its the easiest outfitting and quick to adjust or to get room for your legs to stretch.

the only others I can think of would be a fluid bazooka L or maybe wavesports new recon 90 or pyrahnas new burn xl.

If class 3 and under is what your after the remix xp 10 is a roomy boat with lots of volume. but more of a crossover boat, all others i listed are sutable for class 5 whitewater and are specific whitewater boats

also if you are wide and tall jackson and fluid are good, and if you are tall and narrow pyrahna and wavesport are good.

demo like you said, I'll be up in the PNW in april if you dont find a karma by then!!

bob
Bob thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the info. Karma is definitely on my list of demo boats this spring. The extra 13 gallons of volume the karma has is very desirable.
icantswim is offline   Reply With Quote