liquidlogic jefe or dagger nomad - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2009   #1

White City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via AIM to kayaker1976
liquidlogic jefe or dagger nomad

I haven't decided which boat to purchase. I've paddles the 8.1 and loved the boat, it held lines really well and was easy to roll unlike my bliss stick mac, the downside is i would like to do over night trips and it doesn't seem like you have enough room to pack your gear. I haven't had a chance to demo a jefe yet so I'm looking for some opions on it.

kayaker1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009   #2

Casper, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
I would say go the Jefe alot of people like it but you should look into the Fluid Solo expedition Boat. The fluid is just like the Jefe only there is some other stuff which I like and so do others.
JBaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
both are good boats. What weight are you? Weight Makes a difference as the nomad 8.1 is the smallest, the jefe is a bit bigger, the nomad 8.5 is a bit bigger than the jefe, and the grande is bigger than the nomad. My two cents is that the 8.1 is perfect for paddlers in the 150ish and below range. Jefe is perfect for paddlers in the 160-170ish range, nomad 8.5 and grande are perfect for the 190+ range. Just my two cents on weights.

As for handling the jefes and nomads both creek well, but with some differneces. The nomad has a low center of gravity, has super primary stability and tracks well. The downside to this is that its a bit harder to turn and the lower center of gravity gives up a bit on stroke leverage vs. the jefe. The jefe sits a bit higher, which as first makes its primary stability seem less than the nomads. The benefit to this is increased stroke leverage and power. The jefe doesn't hold a line as well as the nomad and seems more "turny". The benefit to this is its easier to turn when needed. Sometimes I'd have to take multiple sweeps to straighten out the nomad, where as the jefe requires only one. When I am on line and charging, the nomad is about as good as it gets. When I need to make quick corrections or when I need to correct a line, the jefe is easier to correct.

So, both boats paddle well and the sublte difference can be looked at as pros or cons depending on how you look at it. One clear advantage in my mind for the jefe is the outfitting. Personally I think the new bad ass outfitting on the jefes is far superior to the nomad outfitting. The ratchet backband is way better than the flipswitch deal. The seat outfitting on the jefe is more comfy and fits you like a glove without having to get it too tight.

If you have the time, demoing both boats on a few runs would be good, but give it a run or two to get used to the boat.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009   #4

White City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via AIM to kayaker1976
liquidlogic jefe or dagger nomad

I run between 190 and 200, I know I'm on the heavy side for the 8.1 and the jefe,I really don't want to get into anything much longer than the standard jefe. The solo looks like a viable option, I just don't know were I can demo one in southern oregon.
kayaker1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just as an adendum to what Ian said --

I just replaced my 07 Nomad with a brand new one today -- and it now has the ratchet instead of the flipswitch. Hooray!
I've always loved Dagger but always dissed their outfitting. But upgrading to the ratcheting backband was a nice improvement for the new Nomads.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #6

Student
backband

the new Nomads have a ratcheting back band. the flip switch is no longer. Loving it. Quick review here.
Atom Crawford Reviews the Dagger Nomad 8.5 | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
both are good boats. What weight are you? Weight Makes a difference as the nomad 8.1 is the smallest, the jefe is a bit bigger, the nomad 8.5 is a bit bigger than the jefe, and the grande is bigger than the nomad. My two cents is that the 8.1 is perfect for paddlers in the 150ish and below range. Jefe is perfect for paddlers in the 160-170ish range, nomad 8.5 and grande are perfect for the 190+ range. Just my two cents on weights.

As for handling the jefes and nomads both creek well, but with some differneces. The nomad has a low center of gravity, has super primary stability and tracks well. The downside to this is that its a bit harder to turn and the lower center of gravity gives up a bit on stroke leverage vs. the jefe. The jefe sits a bit higher, which as first makes its primary stability seem less than the nomads. The benefit to this is increased stroke leverage and power. The jefe doesn't hold a line as well as the nomad and seems more "turny". The benefit to this is its easier to turn when needed. Sometimes I'd have to take multiple sweeps to straighten out the nomad, where as the jefe requires only one. When I am on line and charging, the nomad is about as good as it gets. When I need to make quick corrections or when I need to correct a line, the jefe is easier to correct.

So, both boats paddle well and the sublte difference can be looked at as pros or cons depending on how you look at it. One clear advantage in my mind for the jefe is the outfitting. Personally I think the new bad ass outfitting on the jefes is far superior to the nomad outfitting. The ratchet backband is way better than the flipswitch deal. The seat outfitting on the jefe is more comfy and fits you like a glove without having to get it too tight.

If you have the time, demoing both boats on a few runs would be good, but give it a run or two to get used to the boat.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #7

Casper, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
I can maybe talk to the rep here in Colorado and see where the closest rep is to you 1976
JBaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Good news that the new nomads finally have a ratcheting backband. About time!

At 190 to 200, you are too big for the 8.1, and although many bigger guys paddle the jefe, I'd say the nomad 8.5 or the jefe grande would be a better fit, especially if you want to do overnighters.

I wouldn't really be concerned about length... length gives you speed and momentum, but neither the nomad 8.5 or the grande are so long that it hinders performance. The volume is what really helps to keep you on the surface and in control.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #9

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm 180 and change and I'm top end for the jefe. Totally agree with all of what Ian said. I'd love to try out a grande for overnighters and bigger water. With that said I do love the jefe. Took me a while but now its the bomb. Hey Ian Gore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Good news that the new nomads finally have a ratcheting backband. About time!

At 190 to 200, you are too big for the 8.1, and although many bigger guys paddle the jefe, I'd say the nomad 8.5 or the jefe grande would be a better fit, especially if you want to do overnighters.

I wouldn't really be concerned about length... length gives you speed and momentum, but neither the nomad 8.5 or the grande are so long that it hinders performance. The volume is what really helps to keep you on the surface and in control.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #10

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've been in an '05/'06 Nomad 8.1 for the last two seasons. I demoed a buddy's Jefe down Gore this past weekend. DeepSouth is spot on. I would add the Jefe is a boofing monster. However it felt much heavier to carry. Also in the Nomad I have a great deep brace, and am able to save many rolls. Saturday I didn't have a single deep brace, I was either up or under in the Jefe. It could be I wasn't used to the new center of gravity thing.

Jefe - Love the outfitting, speed, responsiveness, and air time. Hate the high center of gravity, hard to keep on line (both just going straight, and the "turny" thing.

Nomad - Love low center of gravity, tracking. Hate little access to stern (fixed in new models), flip switch outfitting (when I go for big boof the backband would slip) sounds like they have fixed that.

I'm going to go with a new Nomad.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote