Liquid Logic Stomper 80? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2015   #1

El Dorado Hills, California
Paddling Since: 2006
Liquid Logic Stomper 80?

Hey,

I'm looking to purchase my first creek boat and am considering the Stomper 80. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 150lbs. Would this be a good option for me or are there any other creek boats that would work even better?

Thanks

EHowKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sure. It is a good boat. I personally don't like the outfitting and I have seen too many of them crack, but it is a good creek boat. Especially if you get it for a discount.

You might also want to check out the Mamba, Nomad, Burn, Zen and Karma.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015   #3

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHowKayak View Post
Hey,

I'm looking to purchase my first creek boat and am considering the Stomper 80. I'm 6ft tall and weigh 150lbs. Would this be a good option for me or are there any other creek boats that would work even better?

Thanks
Buy a Karma. Best boat made. Stomper pales in comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015   #4

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
A stomper 80 would be a good size for you. It has a lot of rocker and good secondary stability, but is slower than some boats in my opinion. Slightly older design but still relevant, and plenty of used ones around.

You will always find people telling you a certain boat is the best ever made in the history of kayaking, but in reality it boils down to your boating style and preference. Try to demo several models if you can.
Old 09-10-2015   #5
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
It's your first creek boat. You haven't developed a paddling style yet. Doesn't matter just get something in your weight range, paddle it a bunch then spend more time and effort figuring out what your second creek boat will be.
Old 09-10-2015   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
It's your first creek boat. You haven't developed a paddling style yet. Doesn't matter just get something in your weight range, paddle it a bunch then spend more time and effort figuring out what your second creek boat will be.
I currently paddle a pyranha varun and am comfortable surfing and river running in it up to 3+. I am just looking to possibly get into some more technical whitewater.
Old 09-10-2015   #7

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHowKayak View Post
I currently paddle a pyranha varun and am comfortable surfing and river running in it up to 3+. I am just looking to possibly get into some more technical whitewater.
Are you planning to buy used or new? Demoing is probably the best bet. Pick a few of the more popular creekboats and demo.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Are you planning to buy used or new? Demoing is probably the best bet. Pick a few of the more popular creekboats and demo.
I will demo some to begin with most likely, but will probably end up trying to find a used one which is still in good condition. If I can't find one then I'll consider new.