liquid logic skirt leak issues? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2011   #1

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
liquid logic skirt leak issues?

i have a small jefe and a biscuit 55. I seem to be taking water in in both boats. I use a ir toughskin skirt, not bungee-type, but has a thick rubber rand. could this be my problem? any ideas?

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011   #2

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
It's where the bolts for the thigh braces go through the side. If your rubber rand is going over those bolt heads, when you roll you will get a little water in each time.
Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #3

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I boat a LL Remix...a lot. And I have leakage if I don't check the screws at my hip below the rim (seat position screws) and tighten them down frequently and if the bad-ass outfitting covering the hip pads slips onto or below the cockpit rim when I snap on the skirt. If I pay attention to these items my boat is damn near dry.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011   #4

Golden, Colorado
Could be lots of things.

Whenever my skirt leaks I go around the entire rand and look for a spot where the neoprene came unglued from the rand. Usually it happens right at the grab loop.

My best skirt stays dry when I am running easy stuff. My boat takes on a little water when I run hard stuff. I think that is normal. I also think it takes on less water if I put paddle wax or surf wax on the rim of the cockpit but I don't bother with that anymore... used to do it to keep my skirt from blowing off in ocean surf and it worked... kept my boat drier too.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #5

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
anyone have better success with one skirt (type) over another?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #6

Your Mom!, Colorado
i had a LL Remix and Biscuit w/ a skirtworks skirt, dry all the time, and I'm no stranger to going under...
JeremyTheMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #7

Whistler, BC
Paddling Since: 1986
My Jefe was leeking like a sieve until I took silicone to the bolts. It's now dry as a bone. Just loosen / remove all bolts and then fill with silicone. I also had a bad leek from where the security bar wasn't sealed correctly.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
anyone have better success with one skirt (type) over another?
Mountainsurf Dur-O-Ring....hands down the best skirt I have ever owned. Bombproof fit is better than the EZ-ON fit...but I don't see it on their homepage anymore. When I used to paddle a Jefe it kept me virtually completely dry.

Mountain Surf Spray Skirts - Spray Skirts
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #9
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
No doubt that mountain surf once was king. However, I have to give my rec to IR's lucky charm. The skirt is bomber and the rubber rand has some flanges on it that help seal up the little knooks and crannies. Plus you get immediate customer service by one of the best in the business, if you ever need it. Mtnsurf on the other hand, has a recent history of charging folks and not delivering the product for months, and generally not being particulary responsive.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
Mtnsurf on the other hand, has a recent history of charging folks and not delivering the product for months, and generally not being particulary responsive.
I have heard that from other paddlers as well, fortunately I've never had an issue with any of their products , and always shop at a retail location vs. ordering online.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote