lion vs. JAG - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2012   #1

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
lion vs. JAG

I have a aire JAG right now and love the boat for everything I have done until recently... I just got off the middle fork where I had a passenger and a lot of gear.. I was in about the 900 to 1000 lb range... The boat seemed very sluggish and hard to make the moves I wanted... I expected this as it was near its weight limit.... I do a lot of extended day floats like the lower salmon, owyhee, john day, grande ronde, and plan on doing the middle fork as much as possible... Would a lion be a better option and be more agile... Has anyone had both...

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012   #2

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Just bought a 16' Lion to replace my 16' NRS River Cat tubes. The larger diameter (27.5" for the Lion vs. 25" for the NRS) is great! The Lion handles well and can carry everything you need.
Old 07-03-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
leopard (18') vs lion (16')

I had the lion 16 and replaced with a leopard 18'

lost about 2' of waterline and 1" tube diameter. However noticed a big improvement in the handling.

I've never owned a Jag, but for comparison sake we did a low water owyhee where my lion16 was loaded down about as much as a friends Jag and his had water lapping on the bottom of his floor. I had a few inches of clearance. I think your Jag is 24", the leopard is 26.5.

I didn't want to lose the weight handling of the Lion, but wanted better handling so I went two feet longer with the Leopard. got a good deal as it was an old stock new Aire special I paid $2200 with the 10 year warrantee. I figured 2' longer is not a big deal since I was used to maneuvering a 16' hog. the 18' boat actually appears easier to navigate in tight spots as I don't have to anticipate as much. My fave river is the Middle Fork and since they can run sweeps through it my theory is I will probably never notice the extra 2' ...

I've since taken it down the Deschutes and the Rogue rivers with a 12' frame, gear for 5 passengers (including me) on a three day/two night trip including a shitload of beer

.... it handles great I can turn it 180 in two strokes. I'm also more confident in its stability (able to T up, it slices through rapids better). And based on some of the shallow water I was running with four passengers, boat was pretty "front loaded" but never had an issue with the 12' nrs frame drop rails being "submerged"

This summer I'm planning on doing some low water trips and although I'm not going to bring the kitchen sink, I know it should make it through no problem.

Any time you get into a new boat its a lot of risk. If you can find a leopard on the water see if you can get a mile or so on the sticks and see if its right for you ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012   #4

I had a Jag for 8 years and replaced it with a 16' River Cat to do a Grand trip back in 07. The River Cat handled much more weight than the Jag but was pretty sluggish. Cats are just at their best with a reasonable load.

Last year I had another Grand trip and I bought a Leopard. It was a blast! Handled a lot of cargo and blasted through everything while keeping the cat characteristics.

The leopard is a big boat, but I would run it on the Middle and think it would be a great boat on the Main Salmon.

May trade that River Cat one day for another Jag.
eukwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
The newer jags and leopard designs are a little more current than the older jags. I think some of the WD development went into them, specifically the ability to shape the panels for more kick and rocker. Its almost a work of art.

The lion tube geometry came from advances in Zeppelin development primarily from the 1920's
Old 07-03-2012   #6

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The newer jags and leopard designs are a little more current than the older jags. I think some of the WD development went into them, specifically the ability to shape the panels for more kick and rocker. Its almost a work of art.

The lion tube geometry came from advances in Zeppelin development primarily from the 1920's
Hey didn't the Zeppelin go down in ball of fire?
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #7

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's funny I have a red lion named red zeppelin
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote