Lifejacket Knife Recommendations - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-15-2006   #1

Marine Biologist
Lifejacket Knife Recommendations

I have seen this post before in some of the older versions of the buzz, but maybe that old forum data is gone, since a search did not turn anything up. Anyways, I have had an issue with a lifejacket knife case that would break when my hand or paddle hit the handle hard, and then I would ahve a sharp knife in the bottom of the raft or at the bottom of the creek. I believe it was a Kershaw amphibian or something like that. Sorry I don't remember the type. Maybe Zach can remember? Anyways, now I have the Benchmade River rescue knife, and I like it. I am sceptical about the release on the holster though. It has not failed, but seems like it could. You can pull the knife out of the holster without releasing the catch. Anyone had an issue with losing this knife? The reason I like this knife is the bright yellow handle, and the design of the blade allows you to slide the flat edge agaisnt your skin without slicing yourself in case you have to cut a rope off of yourself underwater. Anyone have suggestions for knives to get my girlfriend for her lifejacket? Something too big and cumersome is bad. Something with two cutting edges is not so great. Suggestions? Good/bad experiences with knives people should know about? Does anyone use titanium blades or true dive knives? Does a titanium knife hold an edge? how easy to sharpen? Thanks in advance for the beta.

|(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
i like the bearclaw. the case seems solid and the knife feels like no other in your hand.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2765
Old 12-15-2006   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
CRKT Bear Claw Knife......... This is my current personal favorite because of the hole in the handle for a secure grip and the blunt end. It's also fairly small. Do a google search and you can find it in many places. It comes in several different versions, so be sure to order the correct one.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
There was a post last spring from a guy that had a close call on Bailey. His skirt got snagged on something during a swim and he had to cut through it with his knife to escape (you can search for the thread). Anyway, an interesting comment from that was he was using, I think, a Bear Claw knife, which has a finger hole in it. He was in the water for quite a while, and he said if he hadn't had the finger hole, his hands were so numb he wouldn't have been able to hold onto the knife.

I've used the Gerber River shorty. Never had to use it in a rescue situation (luckily), but I keep it on my vest all the time and never had it fall out. Also it's blunt tip which may be nice for rafting, one-sided, and it's relatively inexpensive. When I did my research, there was no real consensus on the best knife - pick your poison.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #5

Marine Biologist
checked it out (Bear claw). doesn't look like much of a peanut-butter spreader or cheese cutter. Not that that is what the rescue knife is FOR, but let's face it; that's 95% of what they get used for. I see some bumps along the back of the blade. Those aren't serrations are they? Thumb grips? Can you slide the blade along your skin? Not that it's bad to be unable to use the knife for cutting cheese; means it will be sharp when you need it to.
|(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #6
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
what about knife clips? anyone know what does and doesnt work?
i know of one knife that fell victim to waterfall impact this year, if you go diving at the punchbowls, heads up
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #7

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
It was because of that thread last spring that I checked out the Bearclaw and bought it. Feels super solid in hand. The serrations on the top are just for no-slip grip, thumb rest. I feel like I could saw through a tree with this baby!! It is a pretty small knife (which I like), my only beef is that the tip is slightly rounded (i.e. not the best if you need to puncture something). Easily remedied, however. Nope, it won't spread P-butter very well, and cuttin' cheese would be a bitch since it's slightly curved. Great knife, A+ from me.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Your right, it wont cut cheese for crap. Its a very limited use knife but if that time comes, I believe its the one I want to be there.
Old 12-15-2006   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
for peanut butter spreading nothing beats the gerber river shorty with the blunt tip. I have had mine for years and it never fell out of the clip. once i had an emergency cheese entrapment and was able to cut right through the plastic cheese wrapping and get the cheese to a hungry rafting customer in no time. saved the day.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
emergency cheese entrapment
nice!