Life vest recommendation - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-30-2011   #1

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Life vest recommendation

Ok, so I'm thinking about buying a new life vest for myself (Christmas gift). I've been using the standard 4 buckle whitewater vests for quite some time... I see lots of new designs.

So I'm short and fat... just under 6 feet and 260lbs. I am a rafter and row my own raft.

So what do you all recommend? (other than dropping 60lbs)

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011   #2

-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Consider the MTI Patriot or Big Buoy

I have the Patriot and I like it so far. It is the rescue version of the Big Buoy. I have been running it for about 5 years so far with pretty good durability. I have been through two swifwater rescue classes with it and it performed well. I am 6'1'' 220lbs. I use it for rowing, and I have run it in my kayak but it really is a bit bulky for that. It has about 26.5 pounds of float and the pockets are useful. I also run a Green Jacket from Astral, It is much less float but also much lower profile. I really like the MTI over the Astral if there is a realistic chance of swimming. I have swam many rapids with the MTI and like the extra float.

Cheers!
heytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
kokatat ronin pro. lots of float xxl and optional rescue vest.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
I second the Patriot. It is the most comfortable of any high-float rescue vest I've ever worn. I like that the back is more narrow than most others in its class, allowing for a broader range of motion.

If you've had swiftwater training, or plan to soon, it's a great vest to consider. If not, you might like the MTI Big Buoy or NRS Big Water Guide. Or, you can always use the Patriot without the quick release harness...
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #5

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
A friend of mine loves his MTI Big Bouy so much that he's even featured in the MTI catalogue wearing it!
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Start by calling it a PFD
Old 12-01-2011   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Call it what ya want....JUST WEAR IT!!!!
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #8

-, Colorado
Thanks DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post

Way to post a complete waste of bandwidth, while being totally useless. If you dont have something useful to add, just keep it to yourself. The internet sure has provided a great place for cowards to be rude to others anonymously....
Old 12-01-2011   #9

B.F.E., Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by heytat View Post
Way to post a complete waste of bandwidth, while being totally useless. If you dont have something useful to add, just keep it to yourself. The internet sure has provided a great place for cowards to be rude to others anonymously....
I hope after that big rant you have something to add to the main topic....

On topic: Just know how and when to use any rescue gear if you get a rescue vest. Green Jackets are sweet, that's what I want to upgrade to...
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #10

-, Colorado
[QUOTE=freexbiker;256245]I hope after that big rant you have something to add to the main topic....QUOTE]

Freexbiker,

If you will kindly look at the top of the thread you will notice that I posted the first response to the original poster. I feel that it was a thoughtful, hopefully useful, contribution.

Good day