Lettering Paint for PVC & Hypalon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2013   #1

ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
Lettering Paint for PVC & Hypalon?

I am wanting to find a real paint for writing my boats names on them. I have one PVC ('14 AIRE) & one Hypalon ('10.5 Hyside) I mean, sharpie works & all, but it's kinda ghetto & I end up redoing it a couple of times a season. Any advice on what kind of paint to use & where to get it? Only web site I could find selling that kind of stuff was British... surely there must be Floridans/ Californians/ other Coastal dwellers in the US who paint DOT numbers on their dinghys? Any advice or direction pointing would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013   #2

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Some possibilities on this thread: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...int-38204.html
Old 06-26-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
We just got some stuff in from Inland Marine. Don't have it on the website yet but give us a call and we can get it to ya.
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013   #4

RAD! Thanks you guys!
Old 06-27-2013   #5

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverMamma View Post
RAD! Thanks you guys!
Hey RiverMamma,

How're you and your little girl enjoying your new Max?

Outfitters will usually use Gaco paint (for Hypalon boats) or Urethane for PVC or Hypalon.

We have white and black Gaco in stock or if you want to logo them both at the same time/same method, I'd have a little logo urethaned on at Inflatable Technologies in Denver. They do all of our customer's logoing. If so, call Zach at IT and tell him we sent you.

Urethane is by far, the most durable, longest lasting logos that we've seen. They look sharp too.
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #6

Awesome! Thanks Hyside! Yes we are Loving our Mini Max! Her name is Sarasvati (a Hindu Goddess of Rivers and Music) And yeah, thats what I want painted on her. As much fun as my little one and I have R2ing class II... I must confess that yesterday Mommy took a class IV day to herself with Sarasvati! So here is a question, do I have to get two separate paints, or can I use Urethane &/or Gaco on both?
Old 06-28-2013   #7

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverMamma View Post
Awesome! Thanks Hyside! Yes we are Loving our Mini Max! Her name is Sarasvati (a Hindu Goddess of Rivers and Music) And yeah, thats what I want painted on her. As much fun as my little one and I have R2ing class II... I must confess that yesterday Mommy took a class IV day to herself with Sarasvati! So here is a question, do I have to get two separate paints, or can I use Urethane &/or Gaco on both?
You can use urethane on both, however, if you get the DIY kit for urethane, you'll need two different kits (one for each type of fabric), and honestly, I don't know how easy it'll be to logo with it, as its usual application is for repair work/preventative patching and it's painted or rolled on. If you go to IT in Denver, they'll do the logos with urethane for both boats and they spray it on, very clean looking.

Gaco is Hypalon paint, so it'd only work on your HYSIDE.

That reminds me, I just heard of a spray on logo paint that will work for PVC. We tried it for Hypalon, but it's not adhering as well (it's intended for vinyl/pvc in the auto industry, so it's been weather tested). It's called ColorBond and I've heard it works well, especially for the price. They have a few colors to choose from and it's aerosol, so you'd just need a stencil.

Cheapest and easiest, if you have the stencil, would be Gaco for the Hypalon and try out this Colorbond for the PVC boat (I think it's like $11 a can).

If you want something that's killer, go with urethane, but it's quite a process, so it's pricey (about $90 each at IT).
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
We got the Topside Paint up on our site. A quart runs $44.95, works on both PVC and Hypalon and will be plenty to do both boats on both sides.

https://www.riversports.com/product_...ble-Boat-Paint
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #9

Quality lettering

Zach at raftfix.com in Denver can fix you up. He can computer cut the logo in a stencil form for a nice clean job.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #10

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
boat paint

I have seen the SEM MARINE VINYL PAINT online, sounds alot like the COLORBOND paint. has anyone ever tried this for touching up a raft? Im thinking of painting a light duty raft(pvc). I dont want to invest a fortune on a free raft.
bellshb is offline   Reply With Quote