Let's talk tables - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-05-2011   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Let's talk tables

I am looking for a new table this year, and wanted to see what people have made. I have been using a plastic walymart table for the past 2 years, and it held up better than expected, but I have decided it is time to upgrade. Last year I used one of the NRS kitchen tables, but I do not want to shell out that much cash. So that leaves making one. I was looking at making something similar to the NRS one, but wanted to see if anyone else has a better design?

Muttster

muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011   #2

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
you can buy legs & fittings, so the sky is the limit. saw a nifty set up las year where a guy had a gear board (basically a backboard) with the fittings screwed on. had cutouts to fit his frame.

personally, i like the roll a tables. 2 or 3 on a trip is usually good. they make taller legs for them that I am thinking about getting.
Old 03-05-2011   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I love my roll table. I found one at the army surplas store for $45 last year. I use my table as a hatch cover and bench for my wife and kids so it needs to be big enough for that. My walmart table was 60x30 and fits my front bay perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post

personally, i like the roll a tables. 2 or 3 on a trip is usually good. they make taller legs for them that I am thinking about getting.
muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
I have been using a costco table(lifetime brand?) that seems pretty tough and was only about 20 bucks. Way tougher and cheaper than the wally table I destroyed during stress testing, and then returned of course. Has been plenty strong for one rower or two passengers, even walking or standing on it.

The costco table seems a little heavy however and I am needing to make another and possibly a beaver board. Wondering if I need to use 3/4 inch plywood or if 5/8 would be strong enough. Not sure if weight and money savings would be a wash...

I think the best option is a plywood table/deck/backboard with strap slots/handles cut into it, leg flanges screwed on, with a drop bag(45$ frontierplay for the cheapest) underneath where you can put the legs, chairs, pump, etc. Sand and paint/coat table of course. I like white or light grey for low solar gain.

Like people have said, totally custom design to best cover your frame bay/drop bag and suit your needs.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #5

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I made a bench/backboard/table a few seasons back. The pictures might give you a few ideas. Here's the link to the thread. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ight=backboard
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
thats a slick set up! i have a plastic backboard for a hatch cover (and backboard). can't figure out how to attach legs w/o messing up the hollow/foam core. wood is just a hassle to refinish every other year.... as in i wait too long and end up just having to make a new one.
Old 03-06-2011   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Second the roll a table. Although I dont own one but have friends who do. Last year I talked my buddy into buying three with free shipping for $130. He sold two and wound up with an $8 table. The vendor has since corrected their pricing
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #8

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
I love the roll-a-table, there great to save space. The only thing is if someone had a bad injury that they need a backboard most people in are group would be out of luck cause that's all we carry
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #9

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I have the roll a tables too. But now I'm wondering if I should repurpose the old wood backboard from work (It's a CJ Aquatics board for those of you who are familiar). Attaching legs would be my only problem. Hmmmmm.....
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #10

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Yeah the old wood backboards would make a great table. They make all the stuff so you can put legs on it for a table. The only thing is will your frame space fit it for a seat?
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote