Lets talk side rail racks - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-22-2012   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Lets talk side rail racks

I am running a 14' revolution with a bighorn II frame and would like to add some side rail racks. I have seen the commercial options from nrs but am more interested in a custom setup.

A plywood rail seems solid and I like the idea of using polymax as well. Anything else I should be considering? How are people attaching these racks to frame rails?

Since I am using a single bar on the raft tube I am also concerned with strength. Anybody know if polymax would be strong enough to walk/strap gear to without adding an additional support bar?

Any descriptions or pics of custum setups would be appreciated. Thanks!

hialtitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've only used the NRS side rail racks, and I like them a lot. I have 4 of the 3 ft. ones and I can place them where I need them, or only use some of them depending on what I need. I've even used one across the back of my NRS Cat frame, attached to the back cat yoke. Mine are attached to a single rail frame and I've not had any strength issues with strapping gear. For a walking surface I would try to make sure they are supported with 2 cross bars.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by hialtitude View Post
Since I am using a single bar on the raft tube I am also concerned with strength. Anybody know if polymax would be strong enough to walk/strap gear to without adding an additional support bar?
Poly max is not very stiff and needs more support than a single rail. Properly secured to the frame, Poly Max is plenty stout to strap gear to.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012   #4
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I made mine out of 3/4" maple plywood, coated about 12 times on both top and bottom and all 4 sides with spar urethane. I attatch it to the rails with 4 straps, 1 at top, 1 at the back, 2 on the side. I did use a 3-1/2" hole saw on both decks to put a coozied beer/ beverage in. We have a polymax deck on the front of the other raft but it is stress cracking after 5 years of having people sit on it. Here is a photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Deck.jpg
Views:	2515
Size:	501.1 KB
ID:	4277  
Old 01-22-2012   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
what about something like this. you can buy it cut to size although you will need someone locally to cut out places for your oar towers etc.

Order Aluminum 3003 Tread Plate in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com
Attached Images

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
another option I am looking into is Timmy at recretec will cut the skidguard however you want it with his cnc router.

Skidguard Plywood
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #7

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I use 3/4" plywood with a single rail frame. The outside edge sits on the lo-pro fittings and I have blocking as needed on the inside edge. It's plenty strong to walk on.

This is a 16' NRS River Cat with a 10' NRS frame. 11' side boards. NRS aluminum floor under the cooler and captain's bay. Two drop bags under the front boards. The back yoke is slid against the back of the cooler. Rumble seat in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7514.jpg
Views:	1271
Size:	719.9 KB
ID:	4278  
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I love polymax, but don't like to span it more than 8" and i still am careful where i step. If you don't have a double rail frame, it is 't going to hold up. It sure is nice to keep the weight down, and gives great grip for the dogs. On my first raft i just did a small fore/aft bar like a second rail, but only in the cockpit. I still dis somethi g to support on the front/rear bays too. But this way i didn't need a full double rail. Drawback- you can no longer adjust the size of the cockpit. Personally i get tired of wood, and if i were going to do something else i'd do metal.
Old 01-22-2012   #9

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Personally i get tired of wood, and if i were going to do something else i'd do metal.
I never get tired of wood but I do agree, powder coated aluminum would be great!
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012   #10

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I did mine in plywood. First time I think I did 1/2 inch. Turned out to be too thin for my fat ass. The second time I did 3/4 inch with spar varnish and a bit of fine sand. So far so good, only complaint is that they are kind of heavy but not a biggie.