let's talk Oar stands... - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-01-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
let's talk Oar stands...

Now that I'm committed to making some sweet CNC frame fittings, it has come to my attention that a good set of oar towers might be in order... I'm not wild about my NRS ones, so I'm tinkering in solidworks...

I have two directions in mind- the first would use tube as the 'upright' in order to make the height a 'user definable', and make a nice fitting to catch the oar lock with a replaceable bushing or something.... ( I know this configuration is out there in some ways or others)

the second would be to fix the height and make it in two halves that would capture a bushing for the oarlock between them with a couple different angles...

Either of them would make it so there would be a nice bushing that could be easily replaced (either delrin/teflon or oil impregnated brass).

so let's hear it- if you got to start from scratch and build a sweet set of oar stands, what would they be like?

Zorba the Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010   #2

Let's not talk more rafting minutia for the 4billionth time.
El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by El quapo View Post

You're totally right! We certianly wouldn't want to pollute a WHITEWATER BOATING message board GEAR FORUM with an in-depth discussion of WHITEWATER BOATING GEAR now would we? God forbid some creative thought and dialog might take place, with the possibility of actual improvement on existing equipment. I guess I should have followed my first instinct and put this in 'LOST and FOUND' where it belongs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010   #4

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Quote:
This from the guy who brought us great posts such as:
"What's your sweetest most awesome day on the river so far?"
"San Juan River Raft?"
...and adds comments to posts about where to buy a bulb pump for your hand washing station.
Classic.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #5

Wow, you had to go back 5pages and 4 years to find a comment I made somewhere about something raft related. Classic.

And the first one was heavy sarcasm related to something in 2007. Strong work, cb. I should dig around and paste some of the wisdom you've shared with us. It's pretty easy to do but probably not worth a couple minutes. Pretty easy to use a search feature too.

And no you are correct zorba. There isn't nearly enough rafting minutia being discussed on this forum. I will sit back and await the creative thought and dialogue that is sure to follow.

carry on..
El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
What this site really needs

I more postings about the "gnar" we got into this past weekend with our buddies.

Or the bomb runs we made in the deep pow.

That is what we don't see enough of.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #7

mountains, Colorado
"carry on.. "
...will do! As I was scanning, I was noticing that most of what you said lacks any substance and falls more into the "whining and complaining" category. Do you need a hug?

As to this thread, I'd like some oarstands that could be easily adjusted w/o tools...ideas?
Old 03-01-2010   #8

mountains, Colorado
p.s. Have you checked out some of the sweet machining this guy does? Maybe if you did, you'd have a little more respect and help him in his designs. Without guys like this, guys like you would still be rollin' in a homemade fiberglass kayak.
Old 03-01-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaver View Post
I more postings about the "gnar" we got into this past weekend with our buddies.

Or the bomb runs we made in the deep pow.

That is what we don't see enough of.
I agree- damn- if only I could find some posts about boating or making fat turns...
Old 03-01-2010   #10

Quote:
you obviously didn't read his user name very carefully....