Legend vs SL - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-26-2011   #1
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Legend vs SL

Any cat ppl out there that can help me out. So, I had it in my head that I was gona get a 14' legend. But last month I camped out with a guy who was boating a SL 12.5' We got talking cats. He says that the SL would be a much better machine on idaho rivers like lochsa, payette, sf salmon, sf clearwater, seesch, and most of the rivers that I have kayaked. I'd like to hear your take on the SL vs legend.

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Lots of strong opinions both ways. Do a search and you should find plenty of info.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #3
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Lots of strong opinions both ways. Do a search and you should find plenty of info.
KJ
WOW, good to hear for you! I did spend some time searching buzz. Didnt find anything about the SL
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Oops....my bad. It was the Legend vs Wave Destroyer debate that I was remembering. That's where the strong opinions came in. Not much on the SL. Sorry. Maybe an SL owner will chime in. Good luck.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #5

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
I have had both. If its just you on the Cat SL for sure. Way easier to surf. Way more fun.
studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #6

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I've ran both of multiple lengths. They are both great designs with different advantages and disadvantages to both. SL's turn on a dime but I'd say they are definitely a 1 person boat. In a 14' SL you need to load it like a 11' or 12' legend and everything is moved forward quite a bit. The SL's tend to punch into holes where the Legend's tend to climb up and ride over the holes. If you end up running backwards through anything, you should be ok with the Legend since the tubes are symetrical, things get more interesting when going backwards in an SL. On healthy ledge drops and pour overs, the smaller tails of the SL prevent from going over backwards. I've had many drops that I've stood up my SL on end than I'm sure I would have gone over backwards in a Legend. Everyone and thier dog has the Legend cut which tells you how good they are. It's not very often you see an SL cat. After running both designs, I liked the benefits of the fairy shoe front of the Legend and the back half of the SL, so I had Sotar make me a custom tube design called the "SLegend". It's 13' long and has the fairy shoe front of the Legend but remaining 2/3 of the tubes taper to a point like the SL tubes. If you send me your email, I'll send you some pic's of the tubes. THANX, Dusty
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote