Legend playboat & frame length? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-01-2011   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
Legend playboat & frame length?

I have a 14' Sotar Legend that's great for multi-day, fishing and big water but I'm getting myself set up for a playboat. I haven't rowed any Legends this size and I would love to do but I think 12' fits the bill. 11-11.5' is tempting but I think 12' will be more versatile...?

If I go 12' I'm looking at a 68" long Madcatr frame that will allow me to carry a good size cooler and some gear when duty calls. I think 68" is on the longer side for a 12' but I like the dimensions and I'm told they have 70" flat section- which is conservative. Thoughts on 68" for 12'?

What length are people running on their 11 and 11.5'??

Dilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011   #2

DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
The peeps at Sotar are really helpful. I got a 15.5' legend and had my frame custom made. They gave me a good starting point to build off of... length, width and where the drop rails should be. I think on the legends you could basically measure from the front inner D-ring to the back inner D-ring and that should get you pretty close to the length you want + or - an inch or two either way... Good luck
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #3

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I just saw a new frame coming out , it is far nicer than the madcatr and will be unveiled after the 1st of january, I just purchased a boat and the company had one of the prototypes on the floor, they actually are near sotar. you can pm me if you want the info.

I am also picking up a 12' playboat and waiting for the new production frame to hit the market.
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
what's the name of the frame maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrunr77 View Post
I just saw a new frame coming out , it is far nicer than the madcatr and will be unveiled after the 1st of january, I just purchased a boat and the company had one of the prototypes on the floor, they actually are near sotar. you can pm me if you want the info.

I am also picking up a 12' playboat and waiting for the new production frame to hit the market.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #5

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I must say I'm interested to see a frame that is ANY better than a Madcatr. I'm also skeptical hearing that it is from a production company and that they are waiting to do an unveiling, instead of just selling the frames. This makes it sound like a one-size-fits-all frame.

I'm not a fan of any mass produced frames that exist, particularly the modular ones like NRS. I run a homemade steel frame that was welded in the garage because I like my frame to have exactly the dimensions and design I want. If I had the money, I would pay Madcatr to build me an aluminum frame just like my steel one.

Part of what makes Madcatr frames the best is that they are each custom made by one guy who happens to be one of the top catarafters on the planet. He builds every frame to have the quality, performance and durability he demands to run the toughest whitewater anybody does in a cat.

Although I'm all for competition and the improvement it brings, I can only imagine a design that gives a Madcatr frame a run for its money, not one that is "far nicer."

Dilson, to know what size to get, ask the Madcatr himself. He has an 11' Legend and will know exactly what to do.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #6

Coos Bay, Oregon
You are right Madcatr frames are nice, But, I was just at a Major tube manufacturer and not one madcatr on the floor, rumor has it there is an order in for 20 of these new frames on the horizon by one of the big boys. I saw the pictures, they are aluminum. ( I should clarify I thought they were far nicer just my opinion).

I do agree nrs frames are junk, I have seen a few on the river with the rotated oarlock syndrome.

Hey Alphacyber you should wander down to the Illinois with us and play, we arent the best on the planet but we know water flows downstream
Old 10-02-2011   #7

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm still interested in seeing these frames. You should post about it when they are revealed. It could give me design ideas for the frame I'm going to weld up this spring. How custom do they come?

I haven't done the Illinois in years. Maybe I need to make it a priority to run it again.

One more point to make about play boat frame design. I personally wouldn't let anyone talk you into one that is only long enough for foot bar and seat bars. I hate tube wobble and like my frame to go far enough back to strap to all the d-rings, even though this adds a little bit of weight.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #8

DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
The legend tubes can definitely handle a the weight of 14 more inches of frame and one more cross bar. It's still a play cat, and you can do an overnighter with it. Where else would you put your beer?
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Nice? They pretty much set the standard for cat frames, and any and all new frames coming out are just copying his design. Madcatr doesn't have frames "on the floor", he makes the best but is still just a guy making frames in his spare time. I saw the latest copy last winter, DLR or something like that? I think he is down your way, it might be him.
Old 10-02-2011   #10

Coos Bay, Oregon
No it was not a DLR, I would hardly classify those as a frame-pretty janky all the ones I have seen and they are steel.

It may be hard to believe but some of the best whitewater frames have been made for a long time here in oregon, The tunnel frame cat is not something madcatr invented, there are old frames laying around these parts from the early 80's that have that design.

" They pretty much set the standard for cat frames, and any and all new frames coming out are just copying his design"

--- thats kind of a ridiculous statement, so all the other makers should just quit because madcatr made the grail of frames LOL. I could give two squats about any of them. I am just going to buy what I like. Guess we will just have to see at the Clackamas Whitewater Festival, I hear they will have a big display this year and will be bringing some custom boats to enter.