Lantern Recommendations? LED or Gas? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-08-2009   #1

Groveland, California
Lantern Recommendations? LED or Gas?

I am changing over to propane, retiring my old coleman white gas stove/lantern setup and looking for a reliable lantern to provide light for cooking, games/puzzles, etc.

Are any of the LED lanterns reliable and bright enough to replace a gas lantern entirely, or are they more like a backup item? I am especially interested in the units that have a solar panel and crank generator with integral NiMh batteries so carrying/disposing of batteries would not be an issue, but I'm not sure if these things really work and can keep up with nightly usage on a multi day camp, or are they just gimmicks?

Better to stick with replaceable batteries and an external charger?

or.....

Is some form of LP/Gas the only way to provide reliable light for a longer trip?

Thanks!

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
A single mantle lantern works surprisingly well, is half the size a standard double mantle is, and is easier to pack.
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We had a couple of the little Brunton battery powered LED lanterns on our grand trip. They worked fine, we used two for our main cooking table - but they only provide a fraction of the light output of a gas lantern. They used AA batteries I think.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
"but they only provide a fraction of the light output of a gas lantern."

This sounds like a great reason to use a LED. I've not seen one in use, but who needs their kitchen lit up like a city street.

I pack a gas lantern, but really try not to use it much.

I prefer less light pollution. Gas lanterns also contribute noise pollution, which is another plus for a LED.

Who makes the sweet LED?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #5
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
I dig this thing. Comes in a smaller and larger size as well. Dont think the larger one uses the rechargeable battery though.

Apollo - Lighting - Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #6

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirednoodle View Post
A single mantle lantern works surprisingly well, is half the size a standard double mantle is, and is easier to pack.
I agree, I've been using the same Coleman single mantle for around 10 years. It's perfect for multi-day river trips and even backpacking. They are cheap and a bottle of LP lasts for ever. I stuff mine in a thick old wool sock and throw it in the cook kit. I bet I've only changed the mantel once a year or maybe less.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #7

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Anyone ever try a hand crank lantern?

Indigo LED Lanterns : recharge with built in hand crank or ac/dc adaptor
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #8
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Sup Scott!

Your kiddin right? Didnt Mike have that on our first Grand trip? Thing sucked! Sorry Mikey.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #9

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Ken! How the hell are you doing? Good season for you?

I didn't remember him having it. Good to know! Just wanted a different option than a glass/propane lantern.
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #10

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Another vote for the small single mantle propane lantern. Had one for 10+ years. Used it all the time and finally broke it. Got it at walmart and it was cheap, like $15ish (many years ago), but they dont seem to carry it any more. The lantern fits in an ammo can with the propane canister. Think it was made by 'Century'

Nice thing about propane lantern is the ability to adjust the light. Can crank it for setting up a tent in the dark, cutting veggies, reading, whatever - medium light for cooking, and super low to just have around the camp table without glaring all over the campsite.

Haven't replaced it yet but will go with another one of these when I do
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote